What happened to....

When I was growing up my Dad always taught me that
A MANDS WORD IS HIS BOND.

It was a wonderful thing to be taught. My Dads GrandFather raised him and taught him that same lesson.

I am trying to pass that lesson on to my children.

However, it truly seems that people have forgotten that these days. People do not realize that your word is your bond. If you tell the truth, people remember that. If you lie, people remember that. If you make promises, people remember whether you keep them or not.
Do you think that this is a foreign concept Today?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 3:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• Sadly, thats one of those old values that are passing away. Truth, honor, integrity, compassion, empathy, respect, all those things seem to be getting pushed to the wayside as we continue to raise more and more selfish children.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• That is what I live by as well. I grew up in a home where no one kept their word, not my dad, not my mom, and no one they were involved with. I always kept my word and because of that a lot of my family, older and younger look to me because of that.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We live like that, and we've taught our kids the same. Unfortunately, I think you're right that there aren't as many people following the "code." It's sad, really.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• In my situation, yes, my husband grew up a foster kid and he didn't grow up with his dad or grand dad, and the things he remembers about his dad are not very good so I never really hear him say things like "my dad taught me that."
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You are correct. I have always tried to live by, "The world is what we make it". If we follow suit and lie and break promises, we teach that to our children. If we want to change the world, or at least our little area of the world, change must start with us. Keep teaching your children your values. You are a person of integerty.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:53 AM on Sep. 5, 2010