How can I encourage others without coming across bossy or I'm better effect?

Growing up fast, I went through a lot of horriable situations. I don't want anyone to ever have to endure what I did because I didn't have anyone who I could draw advice from. I would have avoided a lot of relationships if I had an example or menor to come up along side of me. It is what I do for others now. Even though the person I'm helping is thankful, their family or friends are often offended. Saying I'm being bossy or I think I'm better than they are. (Which is the farthest thing from the Truth) I want them to know I'm not there to hurt or offend anyone. I have my failures. I just wanted to be there for them...

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• My suggestion is to be yourself. People need to accecpt you the way you are. Don't make yourself miserable by second guessing your behavior. Your intentions are good and your friend, who you are helping, appreciates it. Maybe she is changing and her family and friends don't like it because they can't take advantage any longer (my guess without knowing the situation). Good luck!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You say the person you are helping is thankful so take comfort in that and build on it. Stay calm, respectful, and encouraging. You can only offer advice and if soemone does not want to take advantage of it that is their choice. Remember there are different ways to look at a situation and you need to be be accepting of other points of view. You are doing a good thing. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:02 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i just had this happen to me. they are just upset cuz your helping and they aren't. don't lose sight of why your doing this, let it go in one ear and out the other. who knows this might help someone else.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sometimes people are more encouraged and learn better by watching what you do. So try to set a good example and only give advice when someone asks. Unsolicitated advise often comes acros as bossy no matter how well meaning the words.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010