Does anyone ever rub the Buddha belly for luck?

When we see a statue of Buddha, we'll do it. Why not? Its silly and doesn't hurt a thin.

Heck if it starts working I may just convert. lol

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do. We have 2 statutes in our home that were passed down from my mom that I use regularly. We are not bhuddist, but superstious.
    ycatstouch

Answer by ycatstouch at 8:41 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Although we do have two statues in our home, I don't think I've ever rubbed their bellies. However, I do know about the custom and I've been known to rub my husband's protruding belly and utter the same phrase.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Nope.

That's actually popular folklore and not something that has anything to do with Buddhism..

It's like kissing the blarny stone, or a horseshoe or something like that.

Also. Most of the statues that people do that to. Are not statues of Buddha, they are usually statues of Budai (the Laughing Buddha or the fat Buddha) not actually "The" Buddha (as in Siddartha the founder of Buddhism). Budai is admired for his happiness and wisdom (he's the "fun" buddah.. lol).. So rubbing is belly isn't an afront or anything like that. It's just accepted folklore.

I had a buddhist monk explain this to me once many years ago.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I do sometimes, I have a few statues around my home. I've been a Buddhist for 8 years. I'm not superstitious, but it comforts me. I have a Buddha charm on a bracelet, and I catch myself rubbing his belly sometimes as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think I did it once but I dont tend to see them all too often while Im out and about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I do.. why not? It doesn't hurt anything!
    Also, one of my teacup chihuahua's is well... on the chubby side... she has a t-shirt that has a drawing of Buddha on it and it says, "Rub My Belly For Good Luck" and we rub her belly all the time.. does that count? LOL!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• On the more serious note... my 17 year old son has always been encouraged to learn as much as possible about all religions and when he's ready to decide for himself. He is currently studying Buddhism and I think he is leaning toward accepting it as a valid philolosophy.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Nope.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• nope I refuse to rub a tummy of a false idol
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Well my seven year old is on the chunky side and I do rub his belly for luck. He always says "Buenos Verte" (Sp. Spanish is not my language). LOL I don't know if it works, but it makes him giggle. His dad is Japanese so I figure it counts.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010