looking for help on buddism

does anyone know where i can get a buddhist bible? or point me in the direction of learning this religion?

pattie14

Asked by pattie14 at 5:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is no "Buddhist" Bible.

If you are interested in Buddhism, which branch/flavor of Buddhism are you interested in. There are a few. Zen, Tibetan..etc.

The best place to start though.. Is with "The Four Noble Truths". and "The Eight Fold Path".Also just about any book that the Dalai Lama has written ( I would recommend those books to anyone not just someone interested in the Buddhist path). Another great book is "Awakening the Mind Lightening the HEart. Core Teachings of Tibetan Buddhism" By the Dalai Lama ( I actually have a 1st edition of this book that is very dear to me)

Buddhism is viewed by many as a way of life, not really a religion. Buddha is not viewd as "God", Buddha was Prince Siddartha of India, who renounced everything to try and learn why people have to endure suffereing in life. He reached enlightenment during this journey and became "The Buddha" (The enlightened one). Buddhism is very intersting
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We don't have a 'bible' as such.
    Buddha Net is a very good resource, http://www.buddhanet.net/

There are lectures, books, but the best thing to do is read and learn and talk to people. Ask any questions you have.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Buddha net is great, and for books, I recommend Buddhism for Dummies or books by thich nhat hanh he has some introductory books and books on practice.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 12:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2590329/how_to_find_a_free_buddhist_bible_online.html?cat=38
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:56 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• When I got interested in Buddhism (9 years ago), I bought "Buddhism for Dummies". It was a great starting point for me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I second the recommendation for buddhanet. Its got a lot of great info.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• thank you so much.
    pattie14

Comment by pattie14 (original poster) at 6:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• BUDDISM FOR DUMMIES, I LOVE THAT. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.
    pattie14

Comment by pattie14 (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm not a Buddist, so I can't really help you. Looks like abv has though.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010