Name Dilemma

Now my friend has a daughter named Madison. I wanted to name my daughter Madison as well but then I feel like she is going to think im copying off of her by doing so. What do you ladies think?

AngelEyva

Asked by AngelEyva at 7:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Baby Names

• my cousin's first daughter is name is madison and we are cuban so it doesn't have to be hispanic name if you are hispanic. name the baby anything you want. its a beautiful name.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think it is your baby you should name her what you would like and don't worry about what others think, IMHO!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I say name her whatever you want to name her...its very common to have kids with the same name now
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 7:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• How close is this friend? If she was a relative then No, don't duplicate the name, but just a friend (that may not be there in the years to come) then use whatever name you want.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:37 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thats true me and her are NOT that close. Its just like we talk from time to time and I was like hmm I love that name and would use it but the two things are she might think im biting off of her, or she might think "shes Hispanic, why would she name her daughter that" My town is super racist so I deal with this crap everyday from going to the grocery store to doing laundry. It's sad but Pennsylvania dutch land is no friend of the Hispanics and blacks, thats for sure... :-\
    AngelEyva

Comment by AngelEyva (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Ten years ago, every third girl in the US was named Madison. There's no reason for someone to think you "stole" it from her. As far as I can tell, everyone "stole" it from the movie "Splash."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• As far as I know, no one owns the rights to the name. Do whatever makes you happy.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks you guys make me feel so much better about it. :-)
    AngelEyva

Comment by AngelEyva (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2010