My 2 in a half year old is still sucking on a binky

How can i get him to give up the binky

Cafemommie22

Asked by Cafemommie22 at 7:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Infants and toddlers do what they know to make themselves feel better in stressful situations. Use distraction techniques. Don't let him become upset, give the pacifier to him if he is very upset, but if you spend a lot of time with him doing other games, like finding a stuffed animal that he can cling to when upset, that is a great way to replace the pacifier.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Different things work for different kids. My niece got rid of hers when she was 2.......her parents told her that there was new babies in the world that needed "nunie's" (that's what she called them) and she needed to give hers to the "Nunie Fairy" to give to those babies, if she did the Fairy would leave a present for her. My youngest had hers till she was almost 5......although she was only allowed to have it when it bed.......she gave it up because she wanted to be a "big girl". My middle son gave his up when he was 3. We started going camping and he didn't want people to "accidentally" see him with it. So he got to throw it in the campfire! Personally I think there's nothing wrong with them having it as long as they are not allowed to have it out of bed.

colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• those are some really good ideas^ but my mom and I weren't so easy going when it came time for the binky to go away. In my family once you have your full set of teeth the binky goes in the garbage. Sure kids throw fits and stuff I mean my kid was upset for like one day then he got over it, he was more interested in all the other things he had like toys blankets and stuff that he didnt even notice after that day.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 7:39 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We are working on the same thing with my almost 2 year old.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 7:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thank you ladies
    Those are some awesome ideas that i should try Luke has a little sister who is almost 6 months old so i should say that he should give his binky to his little sister then i will get him a toy or somthing if he does it,
    Cafemommie22

Comment by Cafemommie22 (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• when i was a nanny i told the little ones that little babies that were being born and their moms couldn't afford to get them for their babies and that since they (the kids i nannied) were babies anymore maybe they can give them away to these little babies. they both agreed and they even wanted to wrap the box they put all of them in and had me write a letter to the new mommies. i think making the kids think it was their choice to give it up is so much easier than forcing them to give up something they love. i would fight back if someone tried to make me do something. the mom was so surprised i was about to get them to give it up. one kid was almost 2 and the other 3
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:00 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i say throw it away and deal with him, otherwise you're going to be doing it when he's three or four. he has to learn to cope his own way.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• mine was too,

I showed her you tube videos of babys in the hospital crying, and she said OH no mommy that baby need my paci. So we put all her pacis in an envolope and put them in the mailbox to send to the babys. Its been so peaceful she didnt even cry at night.
    I had to sneek them out of the mailbox tho haha.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 in 3 weeks. I just took it away.. I took her to the dentist for the first time and she said If I dont take it away now her teeth will really be screwed up! So, the dentist talked to her as I did too and when we left the dentist she got home found them all and threw them in the garbage just like nothing. I thought it was going to be so hard mind being she was super attached to it for almost 3 years but it wasnt.so I suggest if you do it take it away for good not a little at a time cause I am going on 2 weeks and no pacifier ;)

motherofpearl3

Answer by motherofpearl3 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My son was also 2 1/2 when we got rid of his binky. I just decided to take it away 1 day and he threw a fit for the first day but then he got over it. He never asked for it again because he started sleeping with his fave blankie and he had his stuffed animal that he got when he was a baby. I tried the whole just letting him have it at bedtime but that didnt work because he would wanna keep it when he woke up in the morning so it was just easier to take it away completely. Good luck with everything.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010