how can you tell the diffrence between allergies and a cold in kids?

Both of my girls do have allergies, but now I am not sure if they have colds or allergies right now. I think my 2.5 year old it is allergies because she isn't coughing all she is doing is sneezing and has a runny nose. It is green, but the doctor said sometimes it can be green for allergies. My othr DD started school Wednesday and then Thursday woke up coughing. She keeps coughing and has a stuffy (not runny) nose.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If it is allergies then the normal antihistamines will work. If they don't work then it is probably a cold and you need to move onto decongestants. I hope they feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Green is a cold. Yellow is an infection. Allergies is clear. It is possible to have an allergy attack & have it turn into an infection.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Both of mine had allergies which when hay fever season was around, they were a little lethargic. Usually when they had a cold, they also had other signs, aches, sore throat, very lethargic, because they received allergy shots it was easier on me to tell when they had a cold.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i hope your little one feels better!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. here's a bump!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Welll I know my allerges always kick up with the change of the seasons. Also a cold will run it coarse, an allergy will hang on much longer than a cold. Hope they feel better soon.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010