Those of you who haven't really been impacted by what's going on in the economy

Do people try to make you feel guilty about it? Some of our family have had to make major changes but they're doing OK and still able to make ends meet, and we do offer help where we can. All we hear are negative comments about how we should help out more because we're financially better off than they are. What they seem to ignore is that the reasons for their current status have more to do with the lifestyle they chose prior to the economy tanking than the actual economy (they were headed down that road anyway, the economy just sped things up) while we lived extremely conservatively. I feel for them to a degree but they're laying blame in the wrong place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's not that you haven't been impacted by the economy, you have just planned better than most. Pat yourself on the back and keep doing what you're doing. People have to be responsible for their own actions. You can't help it if their anger is misplaced.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We weren't really impacted too much, but I learned a long time ago to keep my finances very very personal. Therefore, I don't think anyone realizes that we are fine. I don't talk about money with anyone and that solves a lot of problems!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Honestly, I don't think there is anyone who has not been impacted at all. The difference is there were some that lived conservatively anyways, so they don't fee the downturn like others do. Honestly, sounds like those people have totally misplaced their anger, maybe they should be asking you all how to recession proof their lives more, and complaining about what you have less!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• they are jealous and jealousy can make you do crazy stuff, like be rude to other people that you wouldn't normally. they need a handup not a handout.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We havent been impacted at all. Thats with 5 kids too lol. We havent really had any problems with friend or family thankfully. I feel you are so right when you say peoples lifestyles would have led them to that bad point anyway. Dont feel guilty!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• In some ways, things got better for us, my DH got a big promotion and we'd been working toward erasing our credit card debt (and finally succeeded about 8 months ago.) We're upside-down on the house, which royally sucks, but we're able to have a nice lifestyle. I've had some craptastic comments, and I just ignore them. Interestingly, just as you said, the comments have come from people that were on the road to financial problems anyway. The ones that have lost jobs through no fault of their own are the ones who haven't said anything negative, they don't blame/fault us for being ok.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Everyone has been impacted in some way.... but we have made out alot better than many. I have not had anyone make me feel bad for it.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 3:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• God no. I don't even have time to listen to any of that BS and I sure in the heck am not going to do what I don't want to do. I have children and grandchildren... if anyone needs my money, it's them. They get it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It is possible to help too much. I know it's hard, but your family has to come first. What good is it if you help everyone else and then have to ask for help in order to feed your kids and keep a roof over your head.

I'm sorry that people are guilt tripping you!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010