Teething!!!!!

Teething has turned my sweet little loving baby girl into a horrible snarling monster! Forget terrible two's, it's terrible 8 months old! I give her baby orajel, motrin, tylenol, cold rags to chew on, hard stuff to chew on, warm stuff to chew on. She will not take naps, she will not eat food anymore. She just learned how to crawl, so if she goes to the trashcan and I move her she screams, she gets ahold of a piece of fuzz or something and I take it she screams. And since she's learned to crawl she will not tolerate playing in her crib or bouncy seat, only the floor will do! If she pinches and I move her hand and say no she screams... I don't know how long I can deal with this! And the tooth is just barely at the surface now, who knows how long it will take to come in! She has ALWAYS been such a good baby, never fussy or anything. How do you survive teething?? Is there anything else I can do to help her not be so miserable??

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know its not more than just teething....she may have just learned how to give you an attitude to get what she wants. My nine month old learned he does those things to me too....I'm sure the teeth might be some of the problem but I think it may be more. You just have to let her know that she cant get away with those things, shes testing you right now. He did it for about a month or so and now it has subsided, I just didnt give in to the tantrums and now were back to our good naps and him playing like a good boy. it still happens occasionally but not as much.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Teething tablets. I have yet to try them, but I have heard moms rave about them. My first popped teeth in like crazy and we never knew, but with my second (5 months) I think we might have some difficulties. GL!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:12 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Some of this might be her need to explore now that she is crawling. Let her be free in the areas of the house where she is allowed. It is her world now and helps be a distraction while she is teething. If you can, set up one cupboard in the kitchen where she can have plastic dishes, containers, small things that she can put in larger containers etc. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• teething cookies worked well for us. letting her be distracted while she is teething. good luck with teething.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• be careful with teething cookies, DO NOT LEAVE CHILD UNATTENDED WITH THEM.. my DD's grandmother bought them her her when she was teething and DD almost choked on one because the moisture allowed it to break.. and obviously those are big biscuits that can lodge in the throat. Thankfully I happen to come and pick her up just as she broke it off into her mouth and was there to take it away.

try a freezing a pacifier, (soothies one's work the best, just run water over them and put them in the freezer). Some of this may be explorer mood kicking on top of teething. Try to keep toys out for her so she has choices and options of what she wants to crawl to. Light up toys are sometimes the best in that case. Soothing classical like music can sometimes help keep them calmer as well. Or let her try some cheerios or gerber puffs. They are yummy and not a choking hazard. They also have food rings that they can chew on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010