How much did/does your children know about where babies come from when they were 3.

When my son was 2 going on 3 he asked where babies came from. I told him they came from the mommys tummy. So he asked how they got there, I told him by mommy and daddy. They make babies with a special kind of love. So one day he goes to his aunt(his dads sister) and asks her if she knows where babies come from. She told him the stork brings them. He told her she doesn't know because that's not where and began to tell her what I told him. She was shocked and thought it was too much too soon. Now I don't really care what she thinks, when she has children she can tell them whatever. But what do you moms think? How much or how little do your children know? Do you have another way of explaining this to a child?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son hasn't asked, he's 4 but I like your answer better than the stork thing.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Well a friend of mine just had her baby on the 1st so he kinda has an idea. He knows the baby was in her belly and now is out, He said "did ethan crawl out of Miss Jessica?" I didnt really know what to say to that, so I said no his mommy pushed him out. He gave me a blank stare and walked away. He never asked how she got pregnant or why. He did think she ate him when she first started showing, but that was the extent of it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You are doing the right thing. Kids should always be told the truth and it should be age appropriate. Just enough to satisfy their curiosity............a little at a time. The stork story is old school.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No, you are correct. Be truthful and use proper names for all private areas when they ask.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:26 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my DD always wanted the baby out and wanted to hold it they never asked how it got there just when it would be out I told them when the dr got the baby out lol it was kinda prepared them for me being at the hospital a couple days and all lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• YOu are doing just fine. You have to answer the questions as they come, honestly and age appropriately and you did!

I have a high schooler and I promis you that what you are doing will help you in the end.  If you are honest and unafraid to answer questions as they come the children WILL talk to you more than if you hide and act like it is something secret that you cant tell them.  You WANT open lines.... because in the long run THAT is what will help you raise good kids.... not secrets.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 9:32 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My 3 year old asked recently because it seems that all of my friends are pregnant at once. I told her that they come from mommy's tummy. She wanted to know how they got there and how they got out. You are supposed to be honest with them, and you were, I think what you said was perfect. I told my daughter that mommy's have tiny eggs, that when they are ready, grow into babies, and when the baby is done growing, the doc takes them out. She seemed fine with that....and didn't ask anymore questions until about 2 weeks later....she wanted to know if it was a chicken egg like she eats for breakfast, I had to control my laughing to tell her basically what you told your child....special love between mommy and daddy makes MOMMY eggs, NOT chicken eggs that we eat, grow into a baby.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My three year has been told quite a bit. Not sure how much she understands. Since she keeps saying baby comes out of the belly button. But I want her to be prepared since we are having a home birth in a couple of months and she could be there.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thankyou ladies. I think that maybe my SIL was upset because she was corrected by a 3yr old. I didn't think I told him too much. He also knows that when the baby is finished growing, they will come out. Sometimes he just walks up to me and DH and say I came from mommy tummy and I was made with special love. That's what I want. I want to be as honest as I can be with my children without taking away their innocense.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I've always answered my boys' biology questions honestly. It makes no sense to keep that information from them.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2010