The potatoes turned brown

I cut up the potatoes last night so I'd have them ready for the crockpot this morning, but they turned brown in the refrigerator overnight. I assume they'll be OK and put them in the crockpot anyway. Right? And how could I have avoided them turning brown? Thanks for any advice.

Asked by Bmat at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, they are fine. It is the air which hits the peeled potatoes (I think) that causes the color change. Happens to me every Thanksgiving! All will be well.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Potatoes turn gray when peeled and exposed to air -- they oxidize. To prevent this, just keep them completely covered with water. I'm sure they will taste fine though.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think they'll be just fine
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• They are fine I keep mine in water when I'm not cooking right away but they still taste the same
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yep... keeping them covered with water is the trick. And they'll still taste the same. At least mine always have. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:29 AM on Sep. 5, 2010