Do you try to live green? Do you find it difficult?

momx3gx1b

Asked by momx3gx1b at 10:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• LOL... I was green before it was trendy...and I'm not talking about my skin color.... it is called being frugal and mindful of what we have... I laugh when I am at the store and see all those women buying their green cleaners....be really green and make it at home! ROFLMAO... I grew up on a farm with a well and a septic tank too... and a garden that was 1/2 an acre... we canned everything.... I still do! Today I made 5 gallons of laundry detergent.... I shared with my neighbor! I'm green and giving!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I try to live sustainably ~ not 'green'. To me 'green' is a money pit marketing gimmick that doesn't actually address the problems and issues of either the environment or living beings (plants, animals, humans).

I try to 'give back' as much as or more than I 'take'. I garden and I plant for the wild things. I raise my own meat/dairy animals. I can and/or dehydrate what I grow as well as some food from local sources. I don't recycle in the conventional sense because I really don't have any trash ~ but I reuse/recycle. I rarely make more than one trip to town a month. We're converting to solar, have a well/septic, and the home we're building is earth bermed cordwood. I use home made cleaners/bath products, natural fertilizer, natural pesticides.

To me, if it comes packaged in 'plastic' it isn't 'green' ~ and definitely isn't sustainable.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes, I do, and no, I don't. See the thing about living green is, it's frugal. As in cheap.

I am one cheap girl.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:13 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I do....Once you learn how (and I'm always learning something new), it is simple and frugal and a good way to be.....my biggest obstacle was family and friends who put a lot of pressure on me not to, they made fun of me, tried to sabatoge me, etc.....social pressure was/is my biggest obstacle...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am as green as I can be with canning my own fruits/veggies/jelly, planting for nature I have not gotten into the make your own chemicals yet although I want to I recycle all I can. We have well, septic and tankless water heaters. We hardly have any trash we recycle all that we can back into the earth. I know there is more we can do to go green but we have gotten this far
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We don't try to live green, we live green

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes it can be hard sometimes.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 3:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2010