how to get very picky eaters to eat better?

lindZee620

Asked by lindZee620 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• you need to give more info to get a good answer
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Have the child help with cooking. If they make it, they are far more likely to try it. The more they try, the more they will like. I agree with 5BabyBees - dips do help a lot. So does making funny shapes in things - a kid that won't touch celery sticks may wolf down "ants on a log" (peanut butter filled celery with a line of raisin "ants" on top).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Introduce one new food every few days. Add dips and sauces on anything you can.
    soccerfanatic7

Answer by soccerfanatic7 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Teach them to cook, don't cater to them when they demand - they won't starve, and for the things they think they "have" to have, make healthier versions of them so they think it's still their 90 grams of fat and 1000mg of salt chicken nuggets when it's really home made baked "nuggets" with lean meat and no extra fat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• always offer all foods
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 3:45 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• From about 2-2.5 years on it became the 3 bite rule at our house. You have to take 3 bites of everything on your plate to get seconds of what you want. If it is something I know they legitimately don't like they have to take one no thank you bite. They are not 2.5 and 6 and are pretty good eaters most days. We do have picky days and those days they eat a good dinner! I just don't accommodate by making second meals and am not going to load them up on chicken nuggets with out them eating their veggies to. It's just always been that way so I guess you could start it at any time making sure the kids were clear ont he new rules before starting and then sticking to it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• thanks everyone! i will try the dip ideas! my two are so picky, i know some is due to my fault, but THANKS again!
    lindZee620

Comment by lindZee620 (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2010