What if there were no God?

So it recently came to my attention that a popular perception in the world today is that without the fear of an all seeing God, and the threat of eternal damnation, people would just indulge themselves in every whim, and stray thought that crosses their minds. The world would become overwhelmed with people who lie, cheat, steal, commit rape, murder, and just generally abuse anyone and everyone.

Now this came as somewhat of a surprise to me, because I have always been an atheist. And yet I don't lie, cheat, steal, or commit any abuse toward the people around me. Somehow I manage to control my thoughts and behavior without that fear of burning in Hell.

So my real question is, what do you really think a society without God would be like?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• A LOT LESS CONFUSING!!!
    TonyaakaMomof5

Answer by TonyaakaMomof5 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• The same as it is now.

The world is overrun with corruption, but it always has been. It always will be. Human nature.
    Another piece of human nature is an embedded instinct NOT to harm one another. I refer to the violence fight/flight/posture studies centering around soldiers from the Civil War until Vietnam.

There would be a lot less violence in the name of religion, however all the charity work and community ties through religion would also be lost. I don't think there will ever be a society without religion, as even atheists can be considered held to their beliefs. A natural response to the unknown is justification through the divine, and as social animals, we will always try to find something common among those around us.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• It is true that charity work, and community ties through religion would be lost, but those are mostly set up to propagate that particular religion anyway. I believe it is within human nature to help out our fellow people, and any religious charity or community program that would be lost, would also be replaced with an equal, secular charity or program. Religious people are not the only ones that do good in the community!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I also agree that it would probably be more or less the same as it is now. The crime rates and such probably would not change much.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Yes, I don't think much would change. I for one believe God is all-good and I try to be as God-like as I can. I think if we stopped with the "fearful" God, we would probably have a lot less corruption and confusion. People would be good just because we (on the overall) DESIRE to be good.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• We live in a society that has no God. Look at the news, you think that our society is giving their lives to the Lord??? Don't think so.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• your right the world would become overwhelmed with people who lie, cheat, steal, commit rape, murder, and just generally abuse anyone and everyone. The world would increase even more so in its pattern of darkness and blindness until mankind would abrubtly destoy our own exinctinction. If there was no God there would not be life.
    Eample: Can a fish live outside of it's natural habitat. No, not for long
    Do a fish know any other existence beyond it's own enviroment. no
    All it knows is the waterlife of it's mere existence.
    Likewise we live under the grace of God, whether we acknowledge it or not. We do not know a life outside of his grace even if we think we are not in the midst of it. The grace of God gives us breathing air (so to say) even in this trouble world so that we may find Him within this world to know there's is life beyond our own mere existence.
    lovengrace

Answer by lovengrace at 1:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would rather live my whole life believing there is a god, and have it turn out that there is not one, then to live my whole life as if there wasn't one, and find out that there is one at the end.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Like the PP, I would want to keep living my life as if there was one. I know that there is a lot of hardships in life, and the truth is God has nothing to do with what happens in the world. He does not cause you to have pain, or suffer, He is there to strenghten you through it, and if you seek him, the process should be less painful. Rape, murder, crimes... all these things would happen either way, but God wants you to use him as a tool to get over these things and if you don't believe in a God, and you are going through these things, it can get really lonesome and sad to deal with it by yourself. Having God there will help you overcome it.

MinniesMami

Answer by MinniesMami at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'd have to say that a world without God would either have a lot less war and cruelty--since most war and cruelty is in his name, or being humans, we would just find something else to fight over.

I doubt their would be more crime, because athiests actually make up a significant disproportionately lesser population among criminals than they do in regular society.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2008