My green thumb is brown!

I have a yard full of weeds but I want to start a garden next year. What should I do to prepare now? Weed killer doen't seem to work and I am scared to damage the soil. Like I said, I have NO green thumb. HELP!

69humblepie

Asked by 69humblepie at 11:24 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would get a sod cutter at the hardware store that you can rent and cut out a patch the size that you want and get a rototiller and dig up the area do not whatever you do use chemicals to get rid of the weeds or grass.. It takes some time to get a garden going and a lot of work but so worth it in the end
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Don't use weed killer! Toxic! Danger! Use elbow grease instead. Go to the library and get books on growing/gardening in your state. Talk to your neighbors. I moved from way up north to way down south and my green thumb turned brown, too. It just takes practice, like with any hobby.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:40 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i pull weeds by hand.
    we only have a small yard and small gardens. we dug up the grass and bought new dirt, and boxed it in. we have 2 4x8 vegetable gardens.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My back yard is roughly 10 x 12-ish( not 100% sure and I think I'm undershooting) and very fertile with weeds. Thanks for the advice not to use weed killer. I'll likely take all of your advice, get some of the young fellas I know, feed them pizza and make it a weed-pulling party!
    69humblepie

Comment by 69humblepie (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2010