am i supposed to have a period while breastfeeding? may be graphic for some

it's not heavy or anything but it started yesterday.. i did the whole bleeding thing after giving birth for a good 3-4 weeks and now Jake is almost 7 weeks old and i'm having a slight period.. it's more than spotting but not so much as i need to change every few hours.. i don't know i had heard that you won't have one but i have no idea.. i am new at this.. any thoughts?

Keri77

Asked by Keri77 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend had her period while breastfeeding too. It's nothing to worry about; just a pain in the a**! Everyone's body is different and just b/c they say you dont have a period until your finished b/f doesnt mean you wont :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Everyone is different. Yes, you can have your period while breastfeeding. It is very, very common to get pregnant while breastfeeding too even if you don't get a period. If you don't want your kids spaced a year apart, make sure you are using some form of birth control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i couldn't agree with kaycee more!
    with my first my period didn't return until my daughter was 15 months old.
    my son is now 4 months old and i have yet to see my period return.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2008