Damien?

I am 38 weeks pregnant and not quite sure what the sex is. But we have already decided a name if it is a boy. Damien Alexander. Now, my MIL is a very religious person ( she's only letting her youngest daughter dress up as a biblical figure for halloween). well when she heard this she flipped out, said that Damien is the Devil and that we should read our bible cuz it says so, and that she will not allow us to name our baby that. We honestly don't care what she thinks were still naming our baby Damien if its a boy, but i am curious because we are not religious but i was in sunday school and i don't remeber the name damien being anywhere. i know the devil has many names suppossebly but i thought he was Lucifer? and i looked up the name and it doesn't say anything biblical just that it means to tame and there was a priest named Damien....is damien in the bible?

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 11:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i know that there was a horror movie where a boy named Damien was the Devil's son but that was a movie....
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 11:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Exactly. Damien was the first name of a fictional character created by David Selzer. The character may have been based on the old religious notion of the anti-christ, but the Bible does not NAME Jesus's supposed rival. It only describes where they come from and what they do.

Although your MIL is clearly misled, the chances of you changing her mind are slim to nil. You have a right to name your child whatever you please, however keep in mind that if you do end up naming him Damien, your MIL may treat the child differently than she would with another name. That's unfair to your child, to condemn him to alienation or borderline abuse and neglect from his grandmother.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• well my hubby has talked to her about it and asked her not to be unfair and she said she would never alienate a child especially her own child because of his name but that she will not call him by his name..like she'll make a nickname for him or something..
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 11:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Exactly...It's a MOVIE and a book. (The Omen).

I've heard from a mom I know that Damien used to be a very popular boy's name until the movies came out....

If your MIL is calming that it's in the bible then you need to ask her where in the bible? (I can tell you like the previous poster is is NOT in the bible)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• sadly, i believe, ever since the Omen movies, the name Damien has gotten a bad rap. I personally love the name. your not naming your child Lucifer, Beezlebub, or anything evil. tell her its just a name, it isn't branding your unborn child to become evil. *hugs* i think the name you picked is a great one!
    zombie_mommy

Answer by zombie_mommy at 11:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Damian has suffered from its association with the film The Omen (the character Damien Thorn is the child antichrist, which is never a great way to start out). However, the name actually comes from the Greek meaning 'to tame', and belonged to a third century Christian martyr. source: http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Damian.html

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Unfortunately, our relatives have biases that are most often, not based on fact. My ex husband and I had a wonderful name picked out for our 4th son, and my mother, who is racist, told us the name sounded like the name she would hear from another race only! I really regret allowing her prejudice to influence us, but we were younger than and still trying hard to gain our parent's (very conditional )
    love and acceptance. The name we had picked, has since become pretty popular for boys of any race! We were going to name him "Jackson" and call him "Jack" for short. We ended up with a more "generic" "J" name. But he is the Greatest Kid! All of our sons are!
    Jael580

Answer by Jael580 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Blah...it's just a name from a movie. It would be no different than if you named your child Jack, and people claimed that you stole the name from Pirates of the Caribbean or something. Name him whatever you want, she'll just have to get over it!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• hel i'd name him damien just to p her off when i was pregnant with my first one i lived in cali and i called my mother to tell her she asked what i was going to nam the baby and i told her miranda nikole she told me that sounded like a hookers name miranda nikole is now 16 and loves her name
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• That was in a movie, I do not think it says anywhere in the bible the name Damien. And I grew up with a boy named Damien and he and his whole family were Catholic. They obviously didn't have a problem with the name. Name your child what you want! That's a fine name for a boy. What are you going to name the baby if it is a girl?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008