Need some help

Our dog barks whenever someone comes over or knocks on the door. It's getting to the point when she do bark our dd will start to cry! So this has to be fixed! What can i do to get my dog to stop barking?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 11:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Train your dog to listen to you. Develop a command to quiet her. and work on it.

Dogs can be trained to shut up.

FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 8:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I know there are some methods you can to do train dogs to quit barking (I'm sure the dog whisperer has some advice), but I had a beagle that would randomly start barking up a storm and it drove us nuts. I picked up a $40 bark collar from Wal-mart and just put it on when he was most likely to go nuts barking. Some people don't like them but this was the only thing that worked for us. It would give a buzz when the dog started to make noise and then shock him if he kept going. He quickly learned to knock it off when it buzzed. You could try just having the dog wear it when you know people will be coming over if that's the only time there's a problem.
    Autumn317

Answer by Autumn317 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• THe dog is doing her job. It is her job to protect her family so she is warning you that someone is at the house.

When she starts to bark, let her for a reasonable amount of time. A minute or so. When that minute is up, tell her, okay, or Thank you, or Done. When she stops barking, give her a treat and praise her. Keep this up, and keep it up consistently.

As a side, Cesar Milan is an idiot. He is who he is because Oprah needed her to train her out of control puppy mill puppies.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I disagree with Acid...Cesar Milan is not an idiot! He knows alot of common sense stuff that people don't usually think about when they have a dog(s)... and he's helping people... and alot of the dogs he's worked with would have been euthanized otherwise
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• nope, we have tried a shock collar, it dident work...it worked the first few times she would back and that was it!
    mommylisar

Comment by mommylisar (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• can you try putting him in a kennel in another room? We also tried the bark collar, our would bark, yelp,bark, yelp. Not such a smart dog ;) The good news is he did outgrow his obnoxious barking.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 11:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• we have tired putting her in another room, she keeps barking till she thinks they are gnoa and she can not hear anyone anymore!
    mommylisar

Comment by mommylisar (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'd take him to be trained.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You can get a bark collar that will ZAP the dog when it barks to teach it to not bark.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• we trained our we moved to an apt and every noise he'd bark they didn't know we had him so I ddnt want they neighbors calling on me I used the ceasar tech. Look up a video or book on barking it was quick and easy for him and he'd even bark under his breath like silently bc he knew he wasn't allowed to do it one"chhht" or even look after that he would stay hushed
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010