Anyone get their tubes tied after birth?

I requested to have my tubes tied after I have the baby. I guess it's such a routine procedure that whenever I ask I don't get much information about it. Has anyone else had this done in conjunction with having a baby? Does it add any additional pain to the recovery?

Autumn317

Asked by Autumn317 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had my son at 1am and by 7 am I was in the OR getting them tied. They just left the epi in place until after the procedure. I didnt feel it added any recovery time. This was my 3rd vaginal birth and I was up with the last one the same with the other 2, I was sore for a few days but nothing bad or major. I was not put to sleep either and the incision is less than a 1/2 inch. I have heard it is harder to go back months later and have it done.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had it done the next morning. If you get an epidural they will leave the catheter in over night for the procedure. I don't feign surgeries too well so don't be scared by me, I was in pain when I had it. Yes it did add on some recovery time for me. Total of 2 weeks. My friend had the same surgery and was up and running in four days. I am a big baby. I however do not regret my decision and am happy with the end result!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had it done the next day. And they left the catheter for the epidural in and then they age me anesthesia to put me to sleep. I guess it wasnt enough because I woke up during the procedure. I didnt feel anything it just smelled awful like something was burning. I stayed in recovery for 2 hours. The scar is so tiny like the size of the tip of my pinky fingernail.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had mine tied 6 months after my son was born. His father and I broke up, and I didn't want my kids to have different dads. I have this best friend who have three different fathers for her 4 kids, and only one of the fathers take care of his kid. I think its unfair for the other kids to see that. Call me old fashion, but this is why I stopped at one. My friend is very successful, but her kids constantly ask her why their brother's dad do all these things for him, but their dad don't.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had a c-section and a couple of minutes after my baby was out, they asked to make sure i wanted it done and i said yes. so they did it. recovery was the same for a c-section, but idk if your giving birth regular or not.

when i worked in the hospital, women who gave birth vaginally(sp?) had it done the next morning.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I had it done hours after my daughter and it depends on how you deliver your baby. c-section then there is no added pain but if you have it natural then yes there is some extra pain but it does not last long
    Nicole D.

Answer by Nicole D. at 1:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i had emeg/ csect and had it done than its the worse thing ive ever done look into post tubal ligtion syndrom
    mommyny6

Answer by mommyny6 at 3:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2010