Why are people in such a hurry to induce labor themselves!!

I see posts on here all the time asking how to do it!! SELFISH!! Baby is going to come out. Baby won't die in there(doc would do something), and would your doctor or midwife approve? Have you told them you are trying to induce yourself? Full term babies can need breathing assistance too! Why risk it? So you don't have to be preg another week? It's part of having kids! I even saw someone once asking how to break their own water!!! Ugh Way to make baby slam down on it's cord and lack oxygen. Black Cohosh is dangerous too. I say if you aren't experienced in delivering babies, knock it off!! None of that home stuff works anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know----those posts are dumb. I think they have a huge need to CONTROL. They are selfish and need more education. Childbirth is a natural experience but they want to take control and ignore the natural progression of pregnancy and childbirth. dumb.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Some of it I think depends on how far along they are. It does bother me when I say ladies saying they are 37 weeks and are trying to induce themselves. I did try nipple stimulation at 9 days overdue, I don't think it worked, it caused contractions, but they went away. I did go into real labor have my baby the next day though, so maybe it did something? My doctor was already willing to induce me, but I didn't want to be induced, so I was hoping to naturally start labor. I don't know, I can understand the want to be done being pregnant, and honestly it upsets me somewhat to have a 10 day late 9 lb baby. My babies never seem like newborns and I'm jealous of people who have the little 6 lb newborns. But, I wouldn't risk my child's health over it. And I'm far more thankful to have a big healthy baby than I am sad that I couldn't have a little one. Besides they only stay little for a few weeks anyway.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree, it's ridiculous. no one likes waiting around for a baby to come, but it's part of life. what I don't get are the doctors who are willing to induce on someone's due date. wtf? give it a week or two, for god's sake. due dates are estimated, not exact. my sister's friend was induced on her due date (for no medical reason whatsoever), and her daughter's been in and out of the er for a month because of breathing and digestive issues. she just wasn't ready to be born. I get induction when youre a couple of weeks past due, or definitely if there's a medical reason for it, but this willy nilly induction crap is just.... ugh.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 12:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• There are a lot of pregnant women I personally know on my fb freaking out about why their baby isn't here at 37 weeks? I kept asking when is you due date and they'd answer expecting it not to seem odd what they said. You're not late! That's why it isn't here 2 ppl went into labor at 37 weeks and think they were owed it coming that early seems weird I went 41 weeks in my opinion nothing you do on the safe side is going to wor if they aren't ready
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i dont see a problem with women walking or other "safe" methods of "tring" to self induce once they are full term and already dialating(in early labor already) besides the natural ways only work if the babys truly ready anyway. i dont believe in medical inducing until you are at least 42 weeks though. i also think drinking stuff like castrol oil and other herbs is crazy, i would never risk hurting the baby to get them out. and why are so many women getting their membrains striped what ever that means, im 38 weeks now with #2 and my doctor has never suggested this, nor have i ever asked. im currious why some women are having this done as early as 36 weeks?
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree with all of you. The EDD is only an estimate anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• The only time I see it as a valid question is when their OB is "threatening" inducing with Pitocin or other means and they would like to avoid this, if possible.
    I agree, unless your licensed midwife prescribes Black Cohosh.. stay away from it!!
    Some natural methods (unless your midwife or OB has advised against).. having sex, even oral can sometimes help (there is a hormone inside the sperm that can induce labor or at least help efface the cervix), eating spicy food or taking a little bit of castor oil.
    Again.. these are only to try to avoid artificial induction methods.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sorry Jazz, have to disagree, if you don't want to be uncomfortable, don't get pregnant PERIOD. If baby needs to come out, I'm sure the person caring for the pregnancy will do so. That's not what the OP is talking about. Personal choice? The baby doesn't have a choice!!! That just sounds selfish. My son was in the NICU for 12 days drowning in a lung collapse. I had to leave him at the hospital, why? Neonatologists were debating wether he was 36 or 38 weeks. Point is he wasn't ready to be born. Sure I was tired of being pregnant. It's a sacrifice you make for your childs well being. It was a very painful ordeal. Wish he would have stayed in a little longer. Nothing but ER visits for breathing issue the first 18 mos of life!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• First of all, the baby doesn't always come out when it should. There is a time when the baby needs to come out otherwise it will create risk to both baby and mom. Aside from that do you realize how uncomfortable you can get when you're at the end of your pregnancy. Maybe it is selfish, but you're dealing with the utmost uncomfortable symptoms ever. It's a person's choice, not yours. And if you don't agree with it then don't do it yourself, but let them have their right to choose.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010