Is it illegal....

for me to sign my husband's name on one of his checks if I have his permission? He's not home, but I have to go pay a bill. He told me to just fill the check out and go pay the pill, but I feel funny signing his name. Is it still forgery if he gives me permission to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, it's actually not illegal (I just asked my brother the corporate lawyer lol). A signature is nothing but permission. If you sign someone elses name and they say "yes, that's my signature" (meaning not that they actually wrote it with their hand, but that they gave permission for the transaction) then it's their signature. You can sign anyone's name as long as they say you can, legally.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 12:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• well, technically. But, i do it all the time. They sent us wrong checks, messed up & didn't put my name on them. We ordered new checks, but we're still using these up. I sign his name on it all the time. He laughs, because i don't even try to make it look like his hand writing. It's no big deal! You won't go to jail.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Nothing will happen unless he complains. If the bank calls with a question, your hubs can say "yeah, I signed it."
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Are you talking about signing or endorsing a check?they are two different situations. If you are depositing, you can write "for deposit only" but if you are writing out a check to a company and signing the check,it might not be a good idea. Why isn't YOUR name on the checking account too?
    Ask an officer at the bank.
    you said he wants you to fill out the check, sign the check and pay the bill......ask your bank.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Put on it "For Deposit Only" and they usually don't say anything. I have gotten so I sign my husband's checks all the time. I don't think they will recognize his signature if they saw it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes, it is fine to do it. as long as both your names r on the bank account.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yeah it is, but as long as you don't get caught you'll be fine. I've signed my husband's name, my mom's name, and my dad's name before because they forgot to sign something and told me to just do it since I didn't have time to bring it back to them to sign. Since you have permission, you probably shouldn't worry about it too much, just be careful who you tell about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes but no one really checks. I do it all the time on all kinds of documents
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I've signed checks made out to my husband before. I don't think it's a big deal, the only issue would be if he complained about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• He gave you permission so just do it.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2010