How can I get my baby to drink milk?

My baby David is 13 months, and I have taken him off the bottle and I now give him whole milk in a cup. For the first few days he would drink some, now he won't even pick up the cup. He has five different cups, so sometimes I try to fool him and change which cup has milk in it. That only works long enough for him to taste it, then he throws it down! I know he needs calcium and Vitamin D. So I give him baby cereal, made with milk, and yogurt, and graduates animal crackers, and baby vitamins. What more can I do?

Canson

Asked by Canson at 11:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe add flavor to it, you said you give him yogurt maybe put yogurt in with it, or blind up some fruit in a blinder with the milk, you can maybe water it down, like half milk half water (more or less) and then gradually less water more milk until it's just milk. I did this with my bestfriends son when I watched him because he to didn't drink it (my kids were hooked from the start) good luck
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Neither of my children drank milk at that age, the dr told me as long as they are getting food with calcium then I should not worry so much. My oldest is now 17 and he loves milk- he is very healthy and my youngest still does not drink milk though I do give her calcium supplements-she is 14. Going from formula to straight milk is hard for some toddlers- you could try getting some formula and putting 3/4 of formula to a 1/4 of milk and increase the milk each week so then it becomes just milk- I have friends who did that and it worked great. Good luck.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Have you tried the transitional cups like the Nuby ones with the soft tops? Perhaps its the feeling of the cup he doesn't like. Just a thought... :P
    Kcdefg

Answer by Kcdefg at 12:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Some kids just DON'T like milk. And that's OK. They don't need milk as much as the dairy industry ould have you believe. He's getting the nutrients in the other foods you're feeding. Water is great for hydration.

I really would NOT flavor the milk...sets up a bad precedent.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would just keep offering it to him. Eventually he might take to liking it or not. I would'nt pressure him to drink it or trick him to drink it. If he is geting yogurt and calcium and vitamins in other foods, it will be ok. Remember, some people, and babies are little people, just dont like milk =)

Dont worry =)
    rojareb84

Answer by rojareb84 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Have you tried warming it up?
    leahjoy

Answer by leahjoy at 2:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my son didn't want to drink milk either, but i put a little chocolate syrup in it and he loved then i just gradually used less and less now he likes his milk plain and he knows that the chocolate milk is a reward for good behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2008