Milk production and bottle feeding adult content

Of course I know the phrase "breast is best" but after my experience with it the first time I'm not even going to try it this time (please, no lectures). Anyway, I heard that your milk still comes in even if you don't breastfeed and the doctors no longer give you anything to stop it. I can't find much about this anywhere so I'm wondering how much will come in, will they still get engorged, and how long until it goes away?

Autumn317

Asked by Autumn317 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Even if you nurse the baby and try weaning, you can still get engorged. It's what happens when the milk is in and does not get out. However, if you choose not to nurse, your choice, the nurse will put an ace bandage to help keep you pulled in. At least that's what they do here. Keep the bandage on as much as possible, or get a couple. It will help the pain. My sister also told me that she wore a sports bra that was too small for her. The nurse will tell you how to take care of yourself and keep the milk from coming in. Also, cold compresses help. Nothing hot, it will make the milk leak out. It will take some time to dry up. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yep they will still become engorged. I think mine took about 2 weeks to go back to normal. The engorgement was only a few days maybe 3 then they started to decrease because I was not stimulating them. They say a well fitting bra helps and cold cabbage leaves for the soreness, I just used cool wash clothes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No lecture... but you DO realize that every baby and every experience is different, right? If you had problems last time, you can learn about what went wrong and be prepared this time... and chances are you won't even face those same issues. Some babies are just difficult to teach how to nurse, some come out knowing how from birth. You don't know which you will end up with until you try!

And yes, you will get engorged. You can avoid the pain of engorgement by just trying nursing and then slowly weaning to a bottle if you decide you don't want to continue. Less pain for you and at least baby will get your precious milk for several weeks.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2010