Do you ever take the prescribed amount of OTC drugs?

Whenever I buy a bottle of Advil, Aleve, Tylenol, Aspirin, or any other over the counter pain medication, I never take the prescribed amount. If I do, it's like I never took anything at all.
I was a pain med pill popper when I was in high school (over ten years ago), and the tolerance has stayed the same. Most medicines tell you to take 2-4 every 4-6 hours, depending on the mg amount per pill. I usually take 4-6 whenever it hurts.
I get terrible headaches and knee aches (childhood injury that was aggravated after joining the service) and the recommended amount never cuts it. Shortly after moving to eastern TX this summer, I was taking Advil like it was candy. Every night, it was at least 4. I don't have anymore, so now I'm taking Tylenol when I need to.
Whenever I'm prescribed narcotics Vicodin and Percocet, however, I take the minimum. While it really makes the pain go away, I feel like a zombie if I take more.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Health

• I usually take LESS than what it says on the bottle. If it says 2 I take 1 and usually don't need to take more later on. For things like cough syrup they want you to take one of those whole little cups almost but I probably take a 1/4 of what is required.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Most of all the 'scripts I'm prescribed I just can't afford. On Friday I was prescribed neurontin. But its So expensive so I live in unbearable pain. As for OTC I'll never take any more then twice a week. To not get rebounds of pain. I have a migraine today. But I wouldn't overdo on anything like that. You never know what the bad side effects may be.. I just wouldn't..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I never take more than prescribed. Eventually it can damage your major organs. My Dad is on kidney Dialysis. It is not a good thing and very sad.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010