Psychology class question. My brain isn't functioning today lol (A little long)

Ok I have to respond to something for my Psych class by either giving an example of nature vs. nurture (which I don't want to do because most of the class responded with that and I don't want to dish out that kind of personal information to everyone), or Age Graded, History Graded, and Non-normative events. We were given the examples of getting a drivers license at 16 (age graded event), 9/11 (history graded), and losing a child (non-normative).

My question is about history graded because my textbook also lists things like technological advances as "history graded" events. I already know what I'm listing for age graded and non-normative, but I was wondering if Blu-ray, smart phones, Kindle, and plasma TVs would also be considered "history graded" since it's something that has come about during my lifetime.

Sorry this was kind of long and a little dumb, but like I said, my brain isn't functioning lol. Thanks!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in

• All of those would count.
    Columbia occured Feb 1, 2003.
    Or Hurrican Katrina 2005
    The Tsumani that occured Dec 26, 2004.
    Even Michael Phelps winning 8 golds at the Bejing Olympics in 2008.
    Columbine, April 20, 1999
    JFK, Jr. dying July 16, 1999
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• As long as you could give the date that the item was invented, I would say yes.
    BUT, I know some of my former professors could be a pain and argue that a smart phone is a cell phone and that it was just an extension of a techonogical invention that had already occured and the same with the plasma TV.
    Something like the Kindle or the iPod might work if you can find the date that they were introduced.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm sure my informatics profs would agree with the Blu-ray and smart phones, but I don't know if a psych prof would. Do these have to be things that have occurred within your lifetime? If that's a constraint, I would look at things less subtle than that - instead of things that are improvement on something that already existed (like blu-ray or smart phones) try to focus on things that completely didn't exist in some real form before, like the first complete artificial heart or (if you're old enough) Louisa Brown - the first IVF baby, and if that's too old, there's also the first successful births from frozen embryos in the 80's.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• This is what my Psych textbooks says about history graded:

"Development is also profoundly affected by forces unique to a particular historical era. Examples include epidemics, wars, and periods of economic prosperity or depression; technological advances, such as the introduction of television, computers, and the Internet; and changes in cultural values, such as attitudes towards women and ethnic minorities."

The example giving in class was 9/11, and everyone has either used that or Obama as their history graded influence, but I KNOW that more has to have occurred during our lifetime!

Wasn't the space shuttle Columbia tragedy like 5-10 years ago? And wasn't Hilary Clinton first elected as a senator about 10 years ago, becoming the first First Lady that had been an elected official? And then there were the Anthrax attacks after 9/11. The Clinton impeachment. The VT massacre. Would those count?
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Columbia was 03 and Challenger was 86
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Oh and we don't have to give a date, it just has to be something that has occurred within our lifetime. I was born in '89, so I didn't really want to use anything that happened before the early '90s since I wouldn't actually remember it occurring.

Thanks ladies!
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010