no liquid from a cup...means must keep nursing???

Hi Moms,

I need some advice. Our baby is just shy of 14 months, and she is a light eater and drinker. I'm still nursing her about 4 times in a 24 hour period (a little more since she's teething now), and I'd like to stop nursing. I use a "don't ask, don't offer" policy right now and end up nursing her mostly before her naps and bed. I'd like to stop doing that but the problem is that despite many months of trying, she's just not interested in drinking from a cup. I've tried many, many cups and she can drink from them and sometimes does, but she doesn't drink enough liquids to keep herself hydrated. She just doesn't guzzle milk like other babies her age. She seems to like kefir the best, and water, so that's what I give her, but her liquid intake doesn't seem like it's enough for me to stop nursing and I'm not sure if I should just wait it out...seems there's no choice! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried cups w/ straws? Those are DS's favorites. Remember that she doesnt HAVE to have cow's milk. She can get all of those nutrients elsewhere, you will just have to be more diligent in watching her diet to make sure she's getting them. DS prefers cow milk that is cut in 1/2 with rice milk. It's a little sweeter, like BM. Remember to watch the wet diapers. That's going to be your first clue that she's not drinkin enough. once you start the weaning she may pick up drinking on her own.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I don't know what a Kefir is. And when you say cup you mean tippy cup right? A 14 month old won't take a real cup yet. I introduced the tippy to both my boys at six months. They go it with every snack and meal. That way they already loved it and were use to it when it comes time to wean from boob or bottle. My oldest I didn't wean until he was almost two tho, and my youngest is only eight months. But I assume its the same thing.. Just sooner. Introduce it, offer it with all meals, and then slowly cut out on nursing time and add the tippy. Continue until there are no more nursing sessions. It can be a tedious task at times. But its better to slowly wean a baby than to do it cold turkey. GL
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010