What special thing do you remember doing with G-ma or G-pa?

Was there some special thing that you did on a regular bases with just you and grandma or grandpa?
Like, my G-ma used to take me to the doughnut shop with her on Saturday mornings. We don't have a doughnut shop here. I am looking for other ideas of a tradition I can start with my granddaughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• my grandma always made holly hock dolls that I would play with for hours until they wilted. Grandpa always had goofballs( round butterscotch candy) that he handed out. My other grandma I do not really remember and my other grandfather took me fishing.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Oh god, what don't I remember doing with them? My paternal grandparents lived right next door to me until I was nineteen and moved away. Grandma sacrificed so much for me and my brother and my cousins. She would play with us and cook for us and take us with her on errands. I went to church with them a bunch of times and she would sit outside with us while we played. She's really the guardian angel of our family and she's still going strong at 81 years old xD My grandpa used to work with the housing authority on various houses and apartments around my hometown. He would take me along with him and I would get to help him work, painting stuff or hammering things or just exploring the houses he worked on. He's always been a very difficult man, but I never realized how special he was until he started going senile. Now I'd give anything to have my old grandpa back...I'm going to miss him when he's gone :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I loved my grandpa sooooo much. He took me and my brother for walks in the woods and would teach us about nature. I still have a deep love and respect for nature because of this.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 12:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• my grandparents took me on vacation every year with them.
    Anonymous

• i only saw my grandparents a few times a year..they lived2 hrs away from us, my g-ma was confined to a wheelchair..but i remember going there and my gpa would always take me and thedog for a walk down along train tracks..it was alot of fun! i dont remember much about my g-ma, she died when i was12 or 13.i remember going to the hospital right before she passed away and she had no idea who anybody was..but as soon as she saw me she remembered me..and was so happy to see me..it made me feel so special, but at the same time i felt bad, because she had no idea who my mom was..and that was her daughter.i felt bad about that..and my gpa died when i was 19..and besides the walks, all i remember him saying was how i was fat and needed to lose weight, and was always suggesting these new work out videos for me..so as i got older, i started to resent him..because i wasnt that bad as a kid..but whatever!!!!!!!!!!!! i still miss them
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My last grandparent died when I was 3. I don't have any memories of them at all.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 2:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My grandmother and I would sit on the porch swing and talk or just swing. It would be in the cooler evening after stifling summer days. My grandfather played banjo and guitar and sang. My maternal grandfather took us to the movies every Christmas day. My maternal grandmother made me sweet hot tea and buttered toast for breakfast. I spent the summers and holidays with my grandparents.

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i wish everyone had one like mine she was the best.
    txprints

Answer by txprints at 3:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My grandmom lived down the street from my school. So everyday she would pick me up and take me back to her house for lunch and then back to school. I spent a lot of time with my grandmom until she past away when I was 11.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Such special memories everyone has. Thanks for sharing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2008