how do i get my baby off formula?

I just got my 17month old off of his binky. And i wanna get him off formula next, i've been tring to give him milk during the day time but he just doesnt seem to like it that much he will drink it but not like he does his formula any ideas?

D3283003

Asked by D3283003 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is kind of old to still be on formula,most kids r off it at 6 months. Do u warm the milk up?? When he is thirsty he will drink it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• yeah i know,he gets it cold. i gotta give him sumthing besides water
    D3283003

Comment by D3283003 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• most kids are NOT off formula by 6 months..usually 12 months...
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 1:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would try to give him milk from a cup. It might be something different to the child. I did this with my kids and worked well. 17 mos shold be onto milk anyway. Give this a try. Also juice.. Pear juice was my kids favorite.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 1:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• he drinks it i guess it just worries me to take him off of it because he doesnt drink it like he does the formula. and i know its a year when u take him off but when some ppl are judgemental i just kinda gotta agree so i dont go off or something. i know its a year because my other 2 were on wic and they kept them on it till they were that old.
    D3283003

Comment by D3283003 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• theres toddler formula. its expensive but i think its worth it. ryder isnt a very good eater so i continued to give him formula until he was 2. can you mix both together? if you can then i would gradually put less and less formula in with the milk. i dont see why you shouldnt be able to do that but maybe you should look it up in case it upsets the stomach
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 2:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• If he eats well, and you can get him to drink some water or juice a day he is fine. They will drink if they are thirsty. Just stop giving it to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• we did it cold turkey. when he realizes he's not going to get any more formula he will eventually drink the milk. they won't starve themselves.
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i think ill try mixin it first. i was thinkin about doing that but i wasnt sure how to mix it. half and half i guess
    D3283003

Comment by D3283003 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Just take the bottle away....and give the child a cup..! the baby will have healthy teeth if you take it away! At first it will be hard but the child will get in the habit....
    MillyMami

Answer by MillyMami at 5:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010