If hes old enough to know this then is he old enough to know that?

So we have been trying to get my21month old off the bottle, we simply threw the bottles out of the house(later my dh gave in n bought more),and we completely ignore him when we know he wants it, & my ds just simply places the bottles in our hands, even when were about to go to sleep he places the bottle on our sleeping spot, once he even came to me w/an empty gallon of milk jug he found in the trash can,he wants his babab& knows how to get our attention for it, now im telling myself if hes able to understand that he should be able to be understand or realize that he needs to do potty in the toilet, i know its two different things but how would i be able to get him to call me for that?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably not a good idea to be weaning and potty training, too much change at once...work on the bottle, then wait a bit to try the potty. Also his little body may not be physically ready to potty train...
    nkkk07

Answer by nkkk07 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Boys generally don't potty train unitl 2 1/2 - 3 yrs old. Starting now is just going to frustrate you.

As for the bottle, when he asks for a bottle, give him a CUP and tell him, bottles are for babies. You are a big boy.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 1:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Boys bodies r not physically able to potty train until the age of btween 3 and 4. It is not medically possible. Work on the bottle.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks guys, w/my 1st son i potty trained him at about 2 1/2 or so but because they are so different i just thought i could, i guess 21 months is a little young now that im thinking about it.
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• lol @ dancer...... uhm kay....... how's about no?

I know of boys who are trained by 2.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Dancer, that is not true. Not even in the least. There have been millions on boys who have been potty trained prior to thet age of 3. Potty training until a child is 3 or 4 is a realitively new thought process and isn't necessary for most children.

However I do agree that doing the two things at once is too much. Throw the bottles out, again and don't buy any more.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• not medically possible??????? HAHAHA!! whoa! ok,.......lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My 411 is just coming from doctors. All kids r different boys and girls and boys and boys. Memigan all kids r different. Let's just leave it at that.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• They very much know what they're supposed to do, how to get what they want, etc. Kids are not stupid. They might not know all the in's and out's of the world, but when they're introduced to something and taught about it they understand. Some things interest children more then other things. They're going to ignore things they're not interested in, and right now that may be the bathroom. He's focused on getting a bottle from you and that's his goal until either you give in or he does. Either way, him going potty isn't his focus and that's why he's not showing interest in it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My doctor told me that if your baby is talking about the potty and he is interested then it MIGHT be time to start. but he also said that if his diaper is irritating him... like if he pees once he's already trying to take it off.. then its definitely time to start. but i agree with the former post about weening him off the bottle first. I am having the same problem. my toddler throws a fit if he doesnt have it during the night. i even tried to put water in it only and he still wont take it. he says "make milk baba please" and then he just starts screaming if he doesnt get it.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 2:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2010