Is it better to be a SAHM?

At least for the first 5 years of each child's life. I mean I'm not up for the argument of SAHM vs Working Moms. But if you had the option of being a SAHM would you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am a SAHM and homeschooling mom of a 6 and 7 year-old and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• i'm a SAHM and there are some great benefits to it, I plan on going back to work when he goes to school.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 11:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I wish I was a SAHM. If I was able to than I would definitly be one.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I've been a SAHM and now am a working Mom (the kids are teenagers). Staying home was a great experience and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that I am working (have been for quite a few years now) I miss the days when I was home with them. Whatever choice you make for your family will be the right choice. If you try being a SAHM and find that it is not for you, you can always go back to work and vice versa. Good luck,
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I want to be one SO FREAKING BAD but we're piss poor and I have to get a job when my baby is only six weeks old :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I LOVE BEING A STAY AT HOME MOM I'M HERE WHEN MY OLDER ONES GET HOME FROM SCHOOL AND AM THE FIRST ONE TO HEAR ABOUT THEIR DAY AND I KNOW I WILL NEVER MISS AND OF THE IMPORTANT TIMES IN MY BABIES LIFE SOME TIMES I THINK ABOUT GOING BACK TO WORK BUT MISSING OUT ON THINGS I SHOULD BE THERE FOR JUST ISN'T WORTH IT TO ME I MEAN WE STRUGGLE WITH LIFE AND BILLS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE BUT WE ARE GETTING BY AND THINGS ARE STARTING TO LOOK UP SO UNTIL I HAVE TO GO BACK TO WORK I AM HAPPY AT HOME
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I am a SAHM of an 8 month old (in 3 days). I have not always been a SAHM though. I stayed at home 2 weeks post-partum then finished school. I went to school full-time and worked 16 hours for free at an internship each week from February until the end of June. My SO and I worked our schedules around having one of us at home so we didn't have to use childcare. I love being a SAHM, especially while he is young. I will be starting school full-time again in January, but only 2 nights a week. So, I will still be staying at home during the day. I love it.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 12:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I've been lucky that I can stay home. I think it is better for MY child. But if I had to go back to work, I know that she would blossom in daycare too.
    Has being a SAHM been easy? No. It is hard work with no adult interaction and no recognition. It is not for everyone and I truly think that moms who work should not feel guilty. It is better for a child to be in a good daycare than to be stuck at home with a mom who hates being there.

Personally, I would like to see the "mommy wars" die. But there are many women who think that if you aren't a SAHM you are a horrible, evil person. And there are others who feel that being a SAHM is a waste of your potential and a let down to women everywhere. Neither is right. Every women should be free to choose what is best for her and her family without feeling like she will be condemned by every woman who made a different choice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I'm a sahm and homeschool also. I worked away from home up until my oldest was in third grade. I consider myself very blessed to be able to stay home now. It's harder work, imo, but so worth it.

I think the bond is stronger when you have them for the first five years.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I only became a sahm when my son was already 5... =( I do regret missing a lot of his earlier years.-I did only work PT but still I loved to be with him, so yes I would pick sahm.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2008