Is there a gateway instrument?

I know this sounds dumb... But is there one instrument that once you learn it, others are easier to learn?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 2:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Honestly it depends on a lot. When you know clarinet/sax its easier to learn the other, because the mouthpieces are similar and the keys/fingerings work very similarly, even if they're in different keys and the notes are shifted four or five spots. (a C on a clarinet - fingering wise - is a G on a sax, if I remember the sax fingerings correctly) But the ambiture (sp?) needed for a woodwind is very different than that needed for a brass instrument. Although trumpet/tuba, I think are similar in the way they're played and the fingerings - I think... So I'm not sure that there is one instrument that will help someone to learn others.... Its more about learning about music in general - how to read it, transpose it, understanding the different terms, and so on. Understanding that carries over into anything you play, but you'll have to learn how to play each instrument on its own; the fingerings/slides/etc....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Piano makes most music theory easier, though I suspect it's mostly because theory books often use the language of piano to describe things.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Piano. I play several instruments and started with the piano. The piano not only teaches you music theory, you know how to read bass and treble clef music which is half the battle. From there I went to the flute. The fingering (I know that sounds awful) on the flute is very similar to that of the clarinet and saxophone so picking those up was a breeze. I'm also able to play several percussion instruments.
    NonnasMomma

Answer by NonnasMomma at 8:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• In school kids are taught how to play a recorder before they go on to a band class. And even the beginning of band class they are using a recorder prior to choosing which instrument they want to play.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I played the Clarinet in grade school.Which would have given me a head start on the sax since alot of the notes are the same.If you played the Violin,the guitar would be easier to get started on.I hope this makes sense to you.I haven't been in grade school since the 60's.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I played the paino and organ first when i started out in music. In the 5th grade, i played the drums since the notes are the same. By the next year, I went to the Alto Sax. I played the Tenor Sax in the Jr high Jazz Band. I also played the Saprano Sax in the Senior Jazz BAnd. .
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 11:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2010