Does anyone actually support themselves completely from a home based business?

If so, what is your business and how long did it take to get to that point?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 2:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was substitute teaching and had a conversation with the art teacher at my school. She told me she sold supported herself by selling earrings at different street fairs during the summer months when school was out. I had always been interested in making jewelry, sewing etc. and had been looking into it. I also like to cook and have been doing research into the pros and cons of each. With selling jewelry, you don't have the added expense of cooling and heating stuff. With jewelry, the product is easier to display and keep. I am trying to get up the money to do one if not both of these businesses. I have a lot of ideas for both projects; the problem is getting the money for supplies. I am currently looking for a grant or something to help; I know there is supposed to be money for women that are trying to start their own businesses but since the recession, a lot of funding has dried up. If you know anything to help, let me know!
    ronniebee

Answer by ronniebee at 2:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• yes we flip houses! it took about a year to get there! but there are ups and downs! right now we cant flip cuz we wont make any money in return so we are buying and renting out our houses! we bought a house for 25 thousand cash and the people r renting it for $800 a month! we have 6 rental homes all paid for by cash and the people rent from $600-$1,000 a month! once the market is better we will sell them! u can buy a house for 25 thousand and put another 25 into and when the market gets better we can sell it for 100 thousand thats a 50 thousand dollar profit! we fix everything ourselves so that saves a lot of money. we have no debt cuz we pay cash for everything if we dont have the cash we dont buy it!! it was hard at first and we took some big risks but it was worth it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes, but I work several jobs from home. I sell and recruit for Avon, do housecleaning, do interior painting and trash outs for a local real estate company, own 5 rentals.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, I also do career and job search coaching; I also handle the "business end" of my spouse's business and do some medical billing for one of my clients.

My spouse's business was supporting us practically from day one.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes! I own a marketing, Branding, & small business consultant business. Its great. I help you set up, organize and keep your business running successfully. I love it. When you write me back & tell me how well your are doing I find great pleasure in knowing I help in a very small way. This is not a solicitation, but if you need help finding your niche. feel free to email me. There are alot of girls on here with excellant ideas, but often once your get the idea you dont know what to do with it. Right... well thats what I do. I help you figure out what to do with your idea/business for make it make you money.
    My daughter is a graphic designer and works from home as well. My oldest son just moved his business from his garage to a store front. My youngest son is in the Army and works from home as an investigator.
    So dont be afarid of your ideas. MAKE IT HAPPEN. Theres a lot of great support here on cafemom.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 11:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• No, we haven't been in business long enough to reach that point. Everything we've made so far goes back into the business.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Yes, I am a Stella & Dot stylist and I also stage houses.
    Erin517

Answer by Erin517 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• no bnut gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010