A couple of Lasagna questions!

1)The cheese in the middle is just ricotta, salt and pepper right? It there Mozzarella in the mix in the middle? What if I wanted to add feta?
2)The layers go noodle cheese sauce? I'm adding pepperoni. Where should it go? Should it be on every layer or just one?
3)Do I grease the pan if I am using foil?

I know I could look it up but there are SO many recipes I thought it would be easier to ask specific questions about what I have and plan to do. Yes I am 30 and have never made lasagna before in my life. lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• 1.For the cheese in the middle I use a mixture of cottage cheese, parmasen cheese and a beaten egg I like the texture more so than a ricotta mixture.
    2 I spray the foil too. Also, I always put a little sauce on the botton before I layer noodles.
    CharletteP

Answer by CharletteP at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would not use foil, the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the aluminum.

My Italian Grandma Natalia made hers with a layer of sauce first, then the noodle, ricotta, mozzarella, sauce...repeat.

If you are adding pepperoni I would add it on top of the cheese in each layer. As for the Feta, just put it on top of the ricotta. No need to grease the pan.

For the Ricotta... My Grandma always mixed it with fresh chopped parsley and one egg per tub of cheese. And of course salt and pepper.

Lasagna sounds SOOOO good!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• you can add any cheese you want. i usually add cheddar (weird but its my husbands fave cheese and its actually really good) mozzarella, and cottage cheese instead of ricotta. but i would definitely add mozzarella if youre doing ricotta.

the layers go.. sauce on the bottom so it doesnt stick. noodles, sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, cheese...as many layers as you can. depends on how much pepperoni you want. you bake it for awhile without the cheese on top so it doesnt get burnt and then 15 minutes before you take it off you add the cheese on top

no you dont have to grease the pan if youre using foil.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 2:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• one the #2...not too many layers of the pepp'...one bite might get too much...I might put some olive oil on the foil...it is still going to stick I bet....
    I put mozz' in the layers too...not just the ritcotta...and I sauce every layer...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• the filling I use is mozzerella, parm, ricotta, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. I do sauce, noodle, cheese, sauce noodle cheese. When I use pepperoni, I chop it and mix it into the sauce. The noodles do not need to be precooked if you do it this way.

It's two eggs per pound of ricotta.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• layers should go:
    Noodles with salt and pepper
    ricotta
    mozzarella
    pepperoni
    red sauce
    repeat....
    final top noddles mozzarella and Parmesan

if you use foil no need to spray, i dont know where feta would go sorry. i hope this helps. BTW i love lasagna with pepperoni in it
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Lasagna can be made with any kind of meat, cheese or sauce (cream, pesto or tomato based). Always start with sauce in the bottom to act as an anchor. Also pound the entire dish on the counter, after assembling and before baking, to solidify the layers.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My mother (God bless her) was the Lasagna Queen of her congregation. Everyone wanted to come to our house to eat her lasagna. She swore by using eggs to hold everything together. She always put 6 eggs in her cheese filling. She also used the rule, 3 cheeses, 3 meats. I make mine with ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese with Italian seasoning in the filling (A MUST!) and ground beef, pepperoni and Italian sausage for the meats. For sauce, she would either use regular spaghetti sauce and add mushrooms with sauteed onions and /or garlic and a little brown sugar for flavor. Or, she would use pizza sauce with some veggies. Save a little cheese for the topping when it is almost done! It's the best--and I've had lasagna and several Italian restaurants. Hope these ideas help!
    ronniebee

Answer by ronniebee at 3:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• egg never occurred to me. Does that make it hold up better? Sauce on the bottom is a good plan! I have to use foil I don't a have pan big enough! My stupid cats broke my big glass casserole dish and it's 30 to replace soooo foil it is until Christmas! I'll look for a cheap metal pan while I'm out today.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• All you guys are awesome! Thanks so much!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010