11 year old periods and swimming

My 11 year old step daughter just started her period and she loves to swim. I think she is too young for tampons. Anyone have any other suggestions?

CharletteP

Asked by CharletteP at 2:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Tampons.

She is fine. Have her practice before a bit before she attemps a pool day. Explain exactly how to do it, if she allows you be there (my daughter allowed me in the restroom for the first try). There is nothing wrong with them... as long as they do NOT leave them in too long. You must explain that to them.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would ask her to wait until she is on day 5 or 6 with no tampon...and I think my 12 is too young for tampons...(and guess who just came out of menopause cause my DD started hers in June...me....it has been a year without any for me and now guess who is back...)....

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would say feel comfortable and talk to your OB doctor and ask him or her. I'm not sure if there is a right age.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 2:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think tampons at any age are fine. Just explain how to use them properly and stress the importance of changing them every few hours
    soccerfanatic7

Answer by soccerfanatic7 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I was a swimmer in our School swim team. I was not wearing tampons uet at that time, but my coach told me that when you are in a water, and swimming, your period kinda quits. It did till i was out waiting for my other swim match. I got to where i would not swim if i had my period. Too embarrassing. But now a days, I know that kids are starting to use the tampons at an earlier age. Both my daughter did when they were 12.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 2:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Pads are nasty and they have a horrible odor. They make Tampons for teens that would fit your daughter. Plus you can't swim in a pad.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Why do you feel she is too young tampons? Many young girls use them for exactly that...so they can swim or do other activities they enjoy. They also make a tampon called Slim Fit or something like that for younger girls that have never used them before. Other than tampons, I don't know of any of way she can swim. And please don't send her in a pool without anything. That is not only unsanitary but could prove to be extrememly embarassing if someone notices she is on her period.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You just got 3 completely different answers. If surfcitymom comes back (hopefully) she can expand on her answer and I will do so too. That way you will have a bit more to choose from.

My answer is based on being on the swim team through high school and from having a 15 yr old daughter.  When she started (6th grade).  Offer it to your daughter, if SHE is uncomfortable with the idea... then obviously she isnt mature enough.  But if she is ok with the idea then there really isnt a reason not to use them.  Purchase the thin ones and let her practice.  Again make sure she understands that it MUST be changed out.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• >When I was on swim team (6ht grade - 12th) there were girls who would sit out for a week because of their period... it was VERY socially awkward for them and it WAS talked about. I would avoid undue social stigmas when possible at that age. We have a pool and I can tell you that having to make excuses at to why you can not swim is just as frustrating for a child (my daughter was uncomfortable for the first 5-6 mo. of having her period to use tampons) and she either had to tell her friends the truth (embarrassing) or make up a story (which I felt was wrong = to lying).

Those are my reasons.... periods are normal and natural and tampons are a wonderful option to deal with them... IMO

sahlady

• Does she live with you or with her mom? If she lives with you, I would go ahead and suggest tampons to her and if she isnt ready she will let you know. But if she lives with mom, I would offer the suggestion to mom, and then back off. Some moms arent ready to deal with tampons with an 11 yr old. I know if this was my dd and you opened that window to her, instead of allowing me to do it, I would be really ticked off. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010