How did you decide on a name for your child/children?

My 5 year old daughter came home from school with a paper for class asking how I chose her her name and how her name fits her perfectly...I'm assuming the teacher intends to display the papers in the classroom. I know some people have interesting stories behind their kid's names and was curious. My daughter's name is Jenna, there isn't a very interesting story, her father and I had actually chosen the name Jocelyn up until a few weeks before she was born. Her father came home from work and says to me, "How about Jenna?" the name came into him randomly while he was working. I said yes and then chose Lynn as her middle name because I thought it fit well with Jenna. The name fits her cause to me "Jenna" has always had a feeling of diva-ish attitude towards it and my little girl is certainly a diva (though not in an arrogant way). She loves all the girly things and is very aware of how beautiful she is.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• We wanted a strong name,something that was trendy,yet would grow with him. We chose Bergen

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yeah I would have trouble with that to. My son's name Carl was pciked because we both thought it was a cool name for a boy and his middle name Padaric was picked because it was all we could agree on. DD's name is Quinn and we got that from the Show Daria(yeah that's a great story for kids!) her middle name Cameron is because we couldn't agree on a middle name for a girl and Cameron was what we were going to use if she had been aboy. It occurred to us it was gender neutral.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my first I don't remember but the 2nd and 3rd I was at a loss and he came up with their names and i liked them
    my 4th baby it was a huge deal because this one was finally a boy and my current husband has a huge family with alot of boys well 2 of the girls came up with his name and it was a nice name so they picked their brothers name
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• 1st child) when we were dating hubs said he liked a certain name and that he would love for someday to have a little girl with that name. I thought it was soooo cute that he thought about his future like that... so naturally I insisted we use that name.

2nd child) hubs is a jr so naturally we had a 3rd

3rd child) we wanted a name with his ethnicity since he is a 100% and Im a mut

All three kids (2nd obviously) have a grandparents name as a middle name because it was VERY important for me that their name have significance and wasnt just some cute name we heard.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I chose my first DS name (Travis Reid) his first name because the day I found out I was pregnant a friend of ours got killed and his name was Travis and Reid as his middle name because my husband has always liked that name. Our second DS we named Owen Zachary, Owen for no particular reason just because we liked it and then Zachary after my husband.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 2:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My ex husband's family was Italian and very big on naming a boy after the dad. His dad was called Jr. by his grandmother until the day she died. I hated that. So we picked a name for our 1st, but when he was born, just to make sure, I asked my (then) husband if he wanted to make him a Jr. He took one look and thought maybe, so we took a couple of days to think about it until time to leave the hospital and we had to have a name for the b/c. I'm so glad he decided against it and we went with the name we'd picked out. Same thing with our 2nd, but this time, we decided to use his first name as our son's middle name. Ex picked out the name Benjamin for our 3rd, and I wasn't crazy about it (didn't want the nickname Benny), but we were sure we weren't going the Jr. route, but once I saw him, he looked like a Benjamin so it stuck, and I ended up the one calling him Benny. He got ex's middle name for his middle name
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 3:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think it was about 15 years before I had children that I decided when I did they would be named--Andrew, Brian, Nicole! I ended up naming my children Nicholas Andrew and a Brian Thomas
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We had it narrowed down to Jonah or Jack. I wanted Jonah, DH wanted Jack. We agreed we'd wait until he was born to see what fit him. Once we met him, we both got the impression he was a pretty mellow kid (we were right). DH looked at me and said, "He's not a Jack, is he?" My response was, "No he's not!" So Jonah it is. Jonah Brian (Brian is my brother's name).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• we have # 5 on the way, and the first name is alwyas something we like, then the middle name is a relative, and the second middle name is either another relative or something that sounds good !
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• The names of my children are from family members. My daughter's middle name has been a tradition in my mom's family that the oldest girl of each generation has her middle name. I share that name with her along with my mom and her mom and so forth. But otherwise we used names from family.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2010