Any business owner mom's out there? I know there are.....I need YOU!

I live in an OK sized town (approx. 30K people) and there is, and I'm not exaggerating here, no maternity stores available here. The closest place would be oooh, roughtly 77 miles away. So, I've been thinking about opening a maternity consignment shop. I've not taken any business classes, which depending on really how serious I am (and it's pretty up there), I am thinking of getting my bachelors in business. I don't know where to start or who to talk to about this, to see what type of financing it would take. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 3:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Forget the business classes. You need a low rent and a good accountant period. Rent & utilities (your over head are the biggest issues). Second, you need to pay for advertising. Start small & work your way up. First find the lowest rent for a store that you can. OR!!! Maybe you could lease space inside another store first, until you gain a following. Then get your own space. With this economy, I'm sure there are local stores that would rent you space to start out. Good Luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You should also take at least a few workshops or at the very least join www.shrm.org if you plan on hiring even at least 1 employee to be sure you understand employment law and employment taxes. Relying on an accountant alone can get you in big trouble! We live near 2 major casinos in CT and there are constantly articles in the paper and stories on the local news of bookkeepers and accountants "cooking the books" and embezzling crazy amounts of money from small business owners because of their gambling addictions or other personal financial problems. There are financial problems everywhere and even if you don't live near a physical casino.. there are tons of online gambling sites!

Be careful and Good Luck!!!

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 3:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• nope sorry but gl
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You dont need a degree to operate a business. It helps but its not necessary. I just typed myself out of room and realized there is so much for me to tell you. Please feel free to email me. I would love to help you. Im a marketing, branding, small business consultant. This is not a solicitation. I am not going to redirect you to my blog or a website. I will try to answer your questions to help you get your business up and running with as little money invested as possible. You dont have to have a ton of money to own, or an over powering education to operate a business and be successful. I love answering these questions for the moms on cafemom. Chat me if you like. lacyjonescasual@hotmail.com
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 11:12 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• You need to write a business and marketing plan. You need to make your business legal. You need to be able to secure. funding and pay your bills. You don't need a business degree to start your business, although it wouldn't be a bad idea. You do need to be able to self educate yourself if you don't get a degree.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2010