4 Year Old Wander

My 4yo son has been sneaking out of the house and leaving the yard to go visiting around the neighborhood. We live in a quite area, but still! It happened for the third time today. He made it almost a block away! I've got the door latches and the spinning handles, but he's too smart for those! I've given him time outs and try not to let him out of my sight. I've also talked to him about the dangers of strangers and cars and things like that.

Any other ideas how to convince him this is dangerous and get him to STOP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Dead bolts and take away the keys & hide them. I would be freaking out! What about swimming pools??? OMG!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Are the door latches high enough? They should be where only an adult can reach. Or like PP said get something that requires a key and keep the key in your pocket. Hope he doesn't crawl out the windows too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• A chain lock at the top of the door.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I also recommend the dead bolt with keys on both sides, the chains high up on the door, and just keep talking to him about why he cannot just leave like that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Dead Bolt
    soccerfanatic7

Answer by soccerfanatic7 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• Dead bolts, chain locks ... and punishment. The locks/chains are merely preventatives and teach nothing. They need to be paired with a consequence for disobeying when he is caught trying to leave the house without an adult. As for "understanding that this is dangerous", he's too young to grasp that concept. He is not, however, too young to grasp the concept of "NO" and face the consequences when he chooses to disobey.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't say "too smart" ... I'd be more inclined to think "too determined to have his own way". That's why there has to be a consequence. He needs to learn that he can't always do whatever he wants to do.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 2:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2010