What are some great meal ideas that are cheap and easy?

My 2nd anniversary is coming up and I need some romantic dinner ideas that I can make, that are cheap and easy. Desert ideas are appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

momof3inapril09

Asked by momof3inapril09 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• A simple (yet very tasty) roasted chicken with some steamed vegies, maybe some rice or potatoes on the side.. Good, cheap, and can be presented very nicely for a "special" dinner. Any simple cake, pie, etc would do for a desert.

Pasta dishes: Ravioli/sauce, salad, garlic bread.. A nice cake or even some gelato or ice cream for desert........... Spaghetti, will also do well.. This is another thing (no matter which pasta you go with) that can be presented nicely for a special dinner and isn't that expensive to make. (people spend bookooo bucks to go to a nice Italian place for a special evening.. when it can be had at home pretty inexpensively..)

Chicken Corden Bleu is easy to make and not that expensive.. A nice side of steamed broccoli/asparagus, a nice rice pilaf..and your good to go as well.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• how hard is that one...anniversary dinner with little money....have to make the items mean something...favorites, stuff you have had together....shop the store ad's for the best meat price and build a meal around that.

Pork Tenderloin with tarragon mustard scream sauce, caramelized leek mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage with pancetta (pork, potato and cabbage)....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Pasta dishes, fresh fruit and chocolate
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You can make impressive Shrimp Scampi, tossed salad, crusty rolls and steamed fresh green beans...very inexpensively, and quickly. Simply buy already cooked frozen shrimp and crusty rolls. The most time consuming thing will be assembly the salad!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Thanks guys. I am not the greatest cook so I was looking into something that I don't know how to make to learn but since his will be our first real anniversary together. Our first he was deployed. I just want to make it extra special on a budget.
    momof3inapril09

Comment by momof3inapril09 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2010