Why is this so hard??

I am an outgoing person. I like to meet all kinds of people and do not judge at all. I am the type that will just walk on over and shake your hand and introduce myself when i see someone, like my neighbors. But as for my husband, he will not do this till i do. Can't figure out why. How can i get him to move and make the first step?

Airforce3mom

Asked by Airforce3mom at 3:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• My DH is like you.......I'm like your DH. It drives me crazy when he just walks up to people and introduces himself and starts talking......I don't know why it drives me nuts, it just does. I've never been one to talk to strangers and no matter what my DH has done it hasn't changed that. Don't get me wrong, when I know someone my mouth won't stop moving.......but if I don't know a person I can't think of anything to talk about. I've always been more shy.......reserved. I don't really know if there is anything that can be done, he's just a different type of person than you are.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 3:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• He must not be as outgoing of a person as you are... bashful, maybe...
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Some people just can't do it. Seeing you continue to be comfortable with it should help him.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yep yep.. I agree with all 3 of you in everything you all said. :) The thing of it is.. He WAS a Deputy Sheriff here in this county for 15 years and everyone here loves him, wether he knows them or not. They know of him and what he has done for this county.
    Airforce3mom

Comment by Airforce3mom (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• OMG I just had an anxiety attack just reading your post. Strangers terrify me. I've lived in my condo complex for over a decade and don't know anyone. I just like keeping to myself. I don't want them knocking on my door invading my privacy. I'm not disrespectful to anyone. I smile and say Hello but no way will I open up that door. That's why I like being online. I can control things here. Real life just scares the dickens out of me sometimes. Just let your man be himself and you be you. Don't try to make him in to you. Not bashing, just saying

Answer by admckenzie at 4:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I'm like admckenzie. I hate meeting new people. I think I have mild Asperger's.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• am more like u and is outgoing too, @admckenzie. I feel for u, have you tried therapy or even told ur doctor that strangers terrify you? i believe there is a conditoin where people are very scared of meeting new people or even being in a situation where they feel they cant control it. and there is help for this type of behaviour.
    ashley387

Answer by ashley387 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am just going to say you are probably not going to change him. He is who he is.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• All of you have some good thigs to say on his behalf. Thank you. He is a super great guy, he is just too funny. If i walk over to meet someone, he comes about an hour after waching me then will introduce himself. He has not problem with anxiety issues.. His biggest thing is trust. He told me one day that if he sees me laughing, then he knows the people i am talking to are ok.
    Airforce3mom

Comment by Airforce3mom (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010