7 year old that isnt potty trained...

My husbands sister has a 7 year old boy who acts like a 2 year old - literally..... he throws fits until he gets what he wants ( which he gets everything ) , lies, ruins everything ( colors on the walls and furniture, SIL will buy him a $50 game and when he is done playing with it, he will break it in half and insist he got bored but wants her to buy a new one - which she will ) .......Now SIL is realizing how bad he is, and has been trying to change it ... but the main thing is he poops his pants everyday - he will not go on the toilet... and it is because he is spoiled because she told him if he goes to the potty everyday for a week she will buy him something so he did, but now bribing him wont work, he even poops his pants at school and his reason for not going to the potty is because he doesnt want to wuit playing or because he just doesnt want to ( what he says )

What should she do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Personally, I think she should take away all his video games, his toys, everything he likes to do, and make him earn his stuff back by using the toilet instead of his pants, respecting the house instead of drawing on the walls, and asking politely instead of throwing fits.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It sounds to me that maybe he should be evaluated with a professional, something isn't right, my granddaughter is 2 and she is potty trained and understands almost everything we tell her, she is not perfect by a long shot, she throws her little fits, but for your nephew to be doing this at 7 is wrong.
    mary056

Answer by mary056 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Take everything away till all he has is bare minimum. Matress on floor. Enough clothes to go from sun-sat. thats it. He does not get things back until the behavor has changed for better over period of time. Not week, but mnth. Like stated above he has to earn everything back. Piece by piece. Also mom and dad need to set the ultimate example of how to behave. If they can't, how do they expcet thier corupted child to change behavoirs. Also family counceling might be in order. Yup I know I'm harsh but I don't want my kid to walk all over me.
    everydaymom1220

Answer by everydaymom1220 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think he has a disorder of some kind. That is NOT just being spoiled or undisciplined. Kids ARE potty trained by age 4 at the oldest. And his tantrums and breaking things are bad signs. I can'tbelieve that nobody has taken him to a specialist yet! What is wrong with his parents????This is not a matter of a kids"Walking all over a parent". He could be autistic or have a brain lesion or something extremely treatable ....but he is not being treated and that is a crime.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I think seeing a specialist would be a great thing for him!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• First... Quit giving in! Consistency and Follow-through are HUGE when it comes to stuff like this...
    Second... I would have him evaluated. Although it sounds like he has just been super spoiled, there could be something else going on here as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• WOW! Bad parenting to the extreme! She needs to get him to a therapist like a pshchologist! This is crazy!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have 2 nephews with behavior disorders they were not fully potty trained for years! and their behavior was out of control because nobody knew how to deal with it.
    The child needs a complete evaluation with a child mental health specialist and go from there
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• i think him n her need to c a speacialist thats just to much come on 7 yrs old he know better from wrong at tht age n for her just to do and get what he wants o i just dont what else to say.. realy they do need some help
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 3:34 AM on Sep. 6, 2010

• he'll learn in his own time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2010