How do I go from my kids going to public school to me homeschooling them?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It depends on what state you're in. Most likely just go down to the school and un-enroll them. Then you will probably need to send in some kind of letter of intent to home-school. After you make sure you know and are compliant with all the laws of your state, the rest is up to you and your kids.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• HSLDA.org can give you information on what your state requirements are for homeschooling. good luck. :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• As was already stated, check out your state laws and read them and know them. You can check out www.hslda.org and look up your state. I would also suggest checking out some books on homeschooling from the library. Join Happy Homeschoolers for support. :) Good luck on your homeschooling journey. I love it!!
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• What a big transition! And congratulations. When you feel like this is the step you need to take - what a thing to plunge right into. And how daunting. I can't tell you how YOU should do it but I can tell you how I would go about the transition. I would assess what level my children are on academically. After checking with my local school system and getting all the paperwork taken care of, I would check into the books local and private schools use for children approximatelymy kids' ages. Then I would select school books that could be used for multiple grade levels. I would also gear it towards my children's level of understanding. So if my third grader was only reading on a first grade level, so be it. That is where we start for now.  Then I would start on a curriculum.  I wouldn't invest too much at first in any one set curriculum.  Many home school moms find that they have to try a few times before finding what works

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• well for them and their children. I would try to hook up with other home school moms to get a feel for what they do. Maybe just the moms at first to ask advice and suggestions. Then a home school group to join if one matched my teaching philosophy and style. After finding a curriculum and planning.....I would personally take a vacation with my children before school started. A time to relax and have fun. They would know that when we get back and unpacked - time for school to start. The transition from planning to implementing I would need a break. It takes work to plan, purchase materials, and get organized. So a mini get a way and then back to the schooling.  I would make sure I had plenty of support to network with and get encouragement from.  As well as a few activities for the kids to interact with others.  Not too much at first because it is live and learn.  As I grew into it I would do more.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2010