eregular period cycle for a 14yr. old going on 15

My daughter is 14 going on 15 next month and she's always had eregular periods since she started at the age of 10 . The doctor said if by next physical she is not regular they want to put her on birth control! I said Hell no!!!! we are into natural health there is no way i'm putting her on b.c. Anyone have a natural answer ?

libraNgemini

Asked by libraNgemini at 12:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I don't have any natural answer, though I have heard that it is a lack of estrogen that makes this happen. I started my period at 12, and have always been very irregular. I'm now 21 and have a 13mo and one due in May. I've never had any complications due to my irregularity, and either has my Mum who is also irregular.
    In some ways this is a nuisance, because you never know when it's coming, but in other ways it's great, because I can go months without a period, and not have to worry.
    Stand by your decision not to have your daughter on birth control!!
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 12:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• wait for her body to do it naturally...
    Anonymous

• birth control pills are estrogen... so try soy. soy milk or tablets. Soy produces a natural estrogen, that's why women in menopause are told to take it if they want a natural alternative to estrogen replacement.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I started my period at 15 and only had it like every 6 months.. when I was 17 I was put on birth control pills and diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). You should look it up, alot of times irregular periods are because of that. I wasn't sexually active til I got married last year at age 20... so irregular period was my only reason for going on birth control pills.
    FosterMom87

Answer by FosterMom87 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have had irregular cycles most of my life and they started at 14. I think 15 is too young to give in and decide to use birth control to regulate cycles. It can take a long time for find one that works for your body. I don't recommend Soy because it rots teeth. When I was younger a lot of people where taking evening primrose oil to help regulate cycles.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i dont see what the big deal is... I know 30 year old women with irrregular periods who arent trying to jump on bc. You call the shots in your daughters healthcare. Tell him to get bent. My only suggestion would be lots of structure. Sometimes elevated stress levels goof around with cycles as well as a crazy diet or excessive exercise
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 3:13 AM on Oct. 14, 2008

• take her tp a chiropractor!!! That is one of those things they can help with. Mine have been regular ever since I started seeing one. google fertility and chiropractic
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008