Legally-Can your job just change your hours and the days you work with no notice or input from you??

I work in an ER and I was hired to work 3 12 hours shifts per week 7am-7pm. My set schedule was Mon-Tues-Wed. I have my childcare set around this as wel as the rest of my life. Thursday we had a meeting and our new "big boss" has decided to change everyones schedule. My new hours are 4 10 hour shifts from 630 am-m 430 pm and every other weekend SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. I dont have childcare set up for this schedule AT ALL. I am just wondering what if anything I can do.

septembermom

Asked by septembermom at 12:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• no..not really...they can change your hours....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• yep! They do not have to have your input at all when making a schedule unless it's in your contract otherwise. If you have no contract they can do what ever they want with your schedule. Most places work with the employees simply be cause a happy employee is a productive employee...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I would say talk to your boss and explain the issue. Maybe there is something they can do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• yeah they dont have to give you a heads up unless the schedule was already MADE. sabrina is right no contract they can do whatever.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• yes they can. sucks that they can, but like said, unless you have a contract, they can do whatever they want.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Go to your human resources office and speak with them...although bosses can do as they fit, it is not morally/ethically correct. When you were hired, did you sign a contract or some document that states your hours and such? if so, check them out. But i would definetly see HR and it that does not work, go to the head dr. Good luck.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Unfortunately Massachusetts is a hire/fire @ will state. Which means they change policy without any rhyme or reason. UNLESS you are a union or have some sort of contract. I certainly wouldn't go down without a fight though.
    EGoyette

Answer by EGoyette at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Hey! I used to work at Mo Bap & we voted on whether we wanted to change our hours or not, but it was always discussed first, not just changed without notice. That really sucks & I would definitely complain about it- especially when it comes to childcare. Your boss must not have children!
    Momof4bcmg

Answer by Momof4bcmg at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008