is it a bad idea to have a kitten around a baby?

my son is 6 months old and we just got a kitten...obviously i know people do it all the time, but are there any specific things i should worry about?

Asked by jessijohns at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard that cats can get right up to a babys face and suffocate them by breathing all their air. thats what my doctor told me.

Answer by wintersmommy06 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my friend have cat in her apt.

just watch what the cat does the baby.
    Read about it or talk to the doctor.

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I wouldnt think so, unless you think they are allergic. I wouldnt let the kitten sleep with the baby.

Answer by masesmom at 11:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We have a full grown cat in our house. And my 6 month old daughter LOVES playing with her. She is not declawed or anything,but she knows that the baby is fragile. She lets Lydia crawl up to her and pull her fur and stuff. Just be careful of the fur he'll pick up in his hands. And keep him away from litter of course. Just duh things that you would do with any pet. Cats are not bad animals for babies.

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• This was a concern of mine also...It is not a problem unless the cat is in the crib/cradle with the baby. I would not trust them alone with each other. Some people say that a cat smells the milk and is attracted to the babies mouth...I would just be sure that the milk is gone and wiped up. They do sell guards like a door mat that you can place outside of babies room that the cat will not cross over. Check it out at a local pet shop. Also with a baby kitten ...i would worry about those claws...if ya don't de- claw the cat..check on claw guards at your vets. Good Luck.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Watch out for the kitten scratching the baby, sometimes if they scratch, you can get the condition known as Cat Scratch Fever, I know its a song, But it is a REAL condition, you will know it because there eyes will turn real red, My sis-in-law was scratched by there house cat, and she got it, went to the doctor and he told her it was CSF, so just watch out for that!!! Other than that it should be fine, kittens just like to be on you and played with alot, we also just got a new kitten, and my 1 yr old just loves him they are so much fun!!

Answer by mykidsmylife06 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• the cat and the baby thing is a myth but do keep a close watch because kittens more so than cats love to cuddle on chest so just keep the kitten away from the baby in that way and for an even safer bet get a small kennel and out the kitten in it at bedtime

Answer by hendrickson at 12:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• don't let the kitten in the babies bed at any time. Even if the baby isn't in there. because Kittens love to cuddle and accidents do happen.

Answer by kaysha at 1:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• OMG. Use common sense and you will be fine. I am so sick of hearing about that MYTH that cats will "steal a baby's breath." That is a wive's tale. Just be careful. The kitten won't even be able to get into the crib. I had TWO cats when both my kids were babies and I never once had a problem other than my kids trying to torture the cats!!

Answer by cacnotcam at 1:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We have a small kitten in the house and my 6 month old son enjoys playing with her. She does not bother the baby one bit.

Answer by Megn304 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2008