Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

need help with an abusive situation

I have a close friend in an abusive situation. Things have gotten ulgy over the past few days and she needs help fast. I guess we are looking for info about filing a protective order so she and the kids can be in their home vs going to a battered women's shelter. Any advice will help

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • Call the police and ask for information ASAP

    Answer by elizabr at 5:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Go to the police station and file one. Change all the locks and make sure all the windows r locked. Plus inform the school about the situation and give them a picture and tell them if they see this person call the police!!!!

    Answer by dancer at 5:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Call your local Domestic Violence Shelter and ask them how to go about it. They know all the procedures. She doesn't have to stay at the shelter in order to get advice from them.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • You said that things got ugly, how ugly? Where the police called and was a report made? The police cannot give her a PO, if they didnt get a call to the house. She needs to go to court in the am,,which would be Tuesday cause court is closed tomorrow. She can file for an emergency protection order. She has to convince a judge that whatever ugly happened, really happened and that her life and her childrens lives are in danger. No easy task to complete if you dont have a police report. Thats why it is suggested that a woman goes to a shelter with her children. She can get the support and services and legal guidance with a legal advocate there. They will even accompany her to court. PM me if you want to talk further....

    Answer by beyondhopes at 5:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Call the police and inform them of the situation. They carry information pamplets in their vehicles with information for help with domestic violence.

    Answer by missthang42001 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • I agree with all these answers. Get help for her NOW!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • Make sure she goes to the police station and takes care of herself and kids! GL Momma

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • try to get her to a women's shelter. protection orders are only paper. i know because my mom had them against guys. they only work so well. if she has kind of bruises or marks take pictures of them and get them dated.

    Answer by xavierlogan09 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • She can still call the cops now. Especially if she's got bruises. If she's got family, brothers or other men in the family, someone should stay with her for a while. She also needs to take self defense classes. Along with all the other advice, of course.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

  • She can call the police at anytime if he's still trying to do anything to her or even contact her especially. They may wonder why it took so long to report anything, but all she has to say is what happened and why she didn't say anything before.
    I was in an abusive relationship me when I say this...SHE has to be the one to decide to do all of this, I'm not saying she isn't, but I'm clarifying it...If she isn't the one who decides to get away, she'll end up in another situation. She has the strength in her to do it, and I know this without even knowing her. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her kids.

    Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 4:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.