Moms with young teen sons. Do you still cover their eyes...

during naked breast scenes in movies? Sex scenes too of course but I try to avoid movies with sex altogether when my son is watching. He is 13. My husband and I still slap a hand over his eyes but I noticed our friend, who has 13 & 11 yr old boys, doesn't cover them at all. I really don't know when I'll feel ok removing the hand...

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 5:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I try to avoid situations like that also, I am or at least I try to be very careful as to what they see on tv. I know it is out there, but we don't need to be the one showing them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• My son is 10 and I do not cover his eyes.

If I cover his eyes it sends the message that there is something "wrong" with what they are doing. I would use it as an opportunity to have open conversations about what they are doing and that while Sex is not wrong, taken in the context of this movie.............

Covering their eyes is simply going to make them want to sneak around and find ways of viewing these things instead of openly dicussing them with you
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 5:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• wow you cover your sons eyes? I dont but I dont watch movies with sex in them around him either. If it does happen and he is there i feel really uncomfortable, but chances are your son has seen it already.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• LOL...I know what you mean. I had a teenage boy once--now he is 39.
    I am always more worried about violent, bloody, gross scenes in movies. ANy movie that features deleiberate killing and violence with no justification is worse than seeing breasts,in my opinion. Breasts should be okay for a 13 year old. But R rated sex scenes, maybe not. That's just the way I feel.
    Good luck. You seem to be doing a good job at parenting, though,and really care!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Really - you honestly cover their eyes? Breasts are a normal part of human anatomy. What's wrong with them seeing a breast? If nothing else, those instances provide an opportunity to discuss things like appropriate sexual behavior and share why you and your husband feel that displaying a woman's anatomy in a particular context is wrong or exploitative. And what movies are you guys watching? I've got a near 10 year old and that situation has never occured.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Don't you think he probably, at age 13, already know more about sex and the naked body then you think he does. If you do not want him to see this stuff. Prescreen the movies. So you do not let him see comercials where the ladies are just in bras and undies?

I think you are being a little over protective. He is a teen ager, not 7. He will see naked females eventually, you know that right?

Answer by louise2 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my sons are 6 and 15, and I've never covered their eyes from the human body. OF course we don't let them watch things that are for grown up eyes. Every family is different with their comfort levels on nudity. I have to remind my husband that he needs to put on pants to get the mail cause he's scaring the neighbors! Not everyone appreciates his boxer shorts like me. I always have a robe cause my house is always full of teenagers. And when the 6 yo was a baby, I informed my older boys friends parents that I was nursing and would step into the other room if someones child was in the house. When you are ready, remember to take the time to talk with your kids about how special and private somethings are. You will know when the time is right for your kids.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 5:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree with Gertie. We censor violence before breasts or sexual content. We don't let them watch full on erotic scenes, but if brief nudity or a slightly sensual scene comes on we don't cover their eyes. Our oldest is 11.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• In case my kids do come across a love scene I dont cover their eyes. My mother used to cover my eyes when I was younger and it didnt really work. I was still exposed to sex at a young age. It seems like the more you try to protect your kids from certain things the more curious they get and find out about it anyway.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I have a 10 yr old ss and 16 yr old ss with the 10 yr old we make him close his eyes or w/e till it's ovedr but the 16 yr since he was 12 we just let it be but we don't watch movies w/ sex in them just some barely any nudity like swordfish
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010