When Does It End???!!!!!!!!

My 3 yo dd is driving me up the wall. She whines about a lot of things. She just started doing this recently. I don't know why she is doing it. Not only does she whine, but it is really loud. What do I do? Is it a stage? When does it end?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 5:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• it could become a learned habit if you let it. nip it in the bud, and don't allow it at all. tell her that it is unacceptable and she needs to talk in a big girl voice, keep on her reminding her, don't give up.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It is a stage. I will tell my girls I will talk to them when they stop whine.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my dd went throug that too. i told her i wouldnt listen to her until she could talk like a big girl. she got the point pretty quickly.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am sympathizing with you right now! I have a 3 1/2 yr. old who was/sometimes still is, going through that whining stage. I just don't acknowledge the whine, and until she can speak to me in a normal, "nonwhining" voice, I just ignore her requests. It's worked well so far. It does get grating though.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 5:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It is a stage that can take hold and last until death at 93 yo. Don't give her anything she whines for. Put her in her room and only give her what she is requesting when asked for politely. It will pay off when she is 16 - trust me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree with Jesse!! You have be tougher than to give in to whines! She's testing you...will it take 3 requests, 50 requests, or 100 requests to get what she wants. The point at which you give in will be the benchmark, and it will not end until she achieves that goal! Make the goal hard if not impossible to reach and she'll learn that you're in charge and whining isn't going to be a productive use of her time.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It ends when the turn 18 and move out of the house
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• It ends when she decides it is not working anymore. I tell my kids if that is what they are going to do, I am not going to acknowledge them and they definitely are not going to get what ever it is they want. The funny thing is that once in a while one of their friends will try this on me and then I catch them saying, "Boy whining doesn't work on your mom, does it!" And that is when I say, "You will have better luck if you ask me with a please or just get it yourself!"
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I just wanted to thank those of you who answered. I do not give in to her when she whine. I have tried talking to her when she whines and she just gets louder. I have tried ignoring her with the same results. I will try/continue to do what you have suggested.
    Bugbait

Comment by Bugbait (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2010