Elderly man at work had made me grab his crotch... need advice adult content

I am a CNA and provide one on one care for an elderly man at his home 2 nights a week- his wife also lives there but she is also elderly.He has slight Dementia. Last night he called me into his room 3 times- 2 of those times he had his genitals exposed and made sexual comments- I can deal with that. I told him to stop and I left the room. The other time he actually grabbed my hand and put it on his exposed genitals- he is a big man and stronger then me. I got loose and firmly said to stop and got him to lay back down.His wife got up after that and stayed in the room with me when he had to use the bathroom- I called our after hrs supervisor at 2:30am to see if someone (preferably a man) could cover the rest of the shift due to his sexual behavior. She said "I am not going to call anyone in the middle of the night". Should I quit this client or was I wrong to call and aks for a replacement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• If your supervisor is not doing anything about it. I would go to the next person up. I am sorry you are having to deal with this. You should not have to at all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would quit the client and make a complaint against the supervisor.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Sometimes aggressive sexual behavior is part of dementia. I would quit that client and complain above your manager. That man should only have men working in his home especially if he is large and sexually aggressive.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Unfortunately, this happens when you are a CNA with elderly dementia patients. One thing you need to do it to know how to get out of wrist grabs and to know when it is ok to get that close. If he had his genitals exposed you now know not to get to close. If they are expecting you to get vitals or others information, inform your supervisors why you could not.
    It is a sad fact that male CNA's are not plentiful. The possibility of getting one in as a replacement at that time of night is slim to none. If you think that you could not handle this happening in the future, stop seeing him as a client
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• No one should be sexually harrassed! I would quit the client and make my supervisors boss aware of the issue and how she handled it.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee...

I would also file an incident report with my supervisor as well. That way, if anything is said. Your are legally covered. If there are questions about your resignation, your are covered. If there are any future incidents/complaints with this client, their is already a paper trail started.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I would quit and complain!!! I am a cna and I quit a client because he would press me up against a wall and rub his body part into me and grab my ass!!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• i my self know were ur comeing from i been there done that but u have ur rights u dont have to put up with that..u cam b moved to another resident if ur not doing good with that n as for the supervisor it was her job to get u a replace me if i was u i would go to some one higher than her cus that wasnt right maken u work wit some one ur not comfortable with..how would she like it if it was her in ur shoes im sure she want out to..well good luck n remember just cus there old doesnt mean they can harrass us like that ...
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• P.S. my client was the mans wife!!!! She is a quadriplegic!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• since you said no its almost like rape cause he made you do it. you should have told your supervisor that he/she should come over cause its a hostile work environment!!! i would have left you shouldnt have to deal with that
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 6:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2010