How do I get over feeling disappointed whenever my son can't have something?

I know he has to learn but he's only 2. So like we are at McDonald's and he's sad that he can't have cake. And he's such a good baby but he's so sad. And I feel awful. I think I'm just over emotionally bc of this awful mirena I need to have removed...

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 5:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Life isn't all peaches and creame. And dissappointment happens. When children learn early in life that they don't get EVERYTHING, they learn to handle situations when they are older. It teaches them to handle stresses. :)

Just remember that you are teaching him life skills. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 6:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• You need to look at it another way. You are teaching your child that he can't have everything. That he has to pick and choose what he wants the most and then work for it. He may want something, but he has to wait and earn it. Little ones, no matter how much we love them, are very good at the "emotional blackmail". They just seem to know how to pout and tug at our hearts. But, you need to realize you are teaching him patience, working for rewards, and being able to be told "no" without it knocking the bottom out of his day.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• cake??? Is there a birthday party there?? That is the only way any kids would get cake. Just try to distract him and tell him when u get home you'll play his favorite game.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Suck it up and know that you are teaching him for his own good. Because believe me, it isn't cute or sad when he's 10, 14, 15 and gets an attitude when he doesn't get what he wants.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• A PP said my one of my highly used phrases "mother's Guilt'.

I even discussed mother's guilt with my grown (moved away for college) son.lol.. And I was telling him how all parents at one time or another, for onre reason or another (big or small) experiences parental guilt. Either for things we did, things we couldn't do, choices we made..etc..etc.. It's unavoidable really.. But even though it's unavoidable, it doesn't haven't to be consuming. It can (and does for some) happen so much during all our years of parenting, that if we allowed it to really get us down/bother us to much, it would drive us insane and we would feel nothing but guilt all the damn time.. lol I just accept that it's part of being a mom, it happens, and I let it go as as quickly as it come upon me to start with. I don't dwell on it.

I'm not big on guilt, the only guilt I can say I have truly experienced in life, has been parental guilt. LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Yes. It's a birthday. But they gave him a piece.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Know that you are making the right choices for him. A mother's guilt....is hard to ignore.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Why cant' he have cake at a birthday party? Unless he can't have it for health reasons I don' t see what the point of him not having a small piece of cake.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 6:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Bc we weren't part of the party.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• if you werent part of the party, then it is EXTREMELY rude to ask for cake! Plus that teaches the child that it is okay to be rude! I dont understand where the question is!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2010