Home schooling?

What are some pros & cons of homeschooling?

Why did you choose to?

What age did you start to homeschooling?

Where did you get the information & textbooks?

sstepph

Asked by sstepph at 6:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2010 in

• I'm personally against homeschooling younger kids unless you also give them plenty of group activities with their peers so they can develop social skills.
    I did independent study my last two years of high school; my GPA went from a 3.0 to a 4.0 by the time I graduated. I got my books from my high school; I was still technically enrolled in the high school, but I was able to work at a faster pace instead of having to learn at the speed of everyone else.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I decided even before my kids were born, that we would home-school them. My boys are 4 and 6 years old, and we are currently unschooling. Basically I follow their lead, and let them learn thru life. So far we are loving every minute of it, and they are thriving. No textbooks needed. We utilize the library a lot, and also the internet. I read lots of home-schooling/unschooling blogs, and talk to other moms about it, in person and online.

For us, there are no cons, and the pros are too numerous to list.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• A great news broadcast on Homeschooling: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/education/100902-in-magnolia-home-school-of-steroids

My husband and I are homeschool graduates, we really wouldn't do it any other way with our children.  Our boys are still young and not school age yet, so I can't say much in regards to your other questions.

This is a great site for free homeschool resources thought =)  http://www.homeschoolfreebie.com  They have one free resource available each day of the school week.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Homeschooling offers one on one teaching which is proven to be a better way for any student to learn. It also allows for personalized teaching/lesson plans/curriculum. Homeschooling parents know immediately when their child is having problems with a fundamental concept & can focus more on that concept until the child understands before moving on, while in a PS the child would be shifted to a special learning group if they're lucky or just passed over if they're not. Homeschooling parents don't have to worry about bullying or peer pressure or sexual molestation at school. Homeschooling doesn't waste time with standing in line for lunch, waiting for classmates to settle down & pay attention. A homeschooler can complete a day's lessons in just a few hours because there are fewer distractions. Cons? I can't think of any.

I have several reasons for homeschooling.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• To finish my answer:
    My now-21-yr-old son was in 5th grade when I first started homeschooling him. Of my younger 3 that I homeschool, the oldest attended kindergarten before I decided homeschooling was best for us.

Information & textbooks: I read and read books on homeschooling from the library. I researched on the internet. I tried a few different programs before deciding on what works best for my kids/our family. My oldest one did more unit studies/unschooling using materials from the library and internet while the younger 3 use workbooks and textbooks from a boxed curriculum that I purchased online.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I removed my older son from 5th grade to home school him because he had a learning disability and he wasn't catching on in the classroom so it turned into behavioral problems.
    I went through a Christian home school program where I became a satellite school off of them. This was in 1986 and home schooling was rather a grass roots movement in my area. They supplied the curriculum and I turned in the hours I sent on each subject that they reported to the state of California. I also joined a home schooling group and met with other parents and children for social activities and he belonged to other outside resources for social activities, such as sports,4-H,ect.
    At the end of the school year he tested on the state tests at grade level or above on every subject, where in public school he was failing everything. He returned to 6th grade the next year and was successful from them on in academics and social skills.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 7:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I am going to give my daughter the chance to go to school and see how she does. I do see going to school as important; learning/respecting from other adults, making friends etc, She is on a waiting list for a local charter school in my county, so we'll see where that goes, our county schools are the greatest....I will also be doing extra curricular activities with my daughter in hopes of spanding her mind. However, I am not against home schooling at all, I actually have considered it being a former teacher myself. My outlook, see how the child does in school, then move from there, however, every community school system, parent, child is different, so everyone should do what they feel is best!
    JamiHartley

Answer by JamiHartley at 10:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I personally choose to homeschool because my DD is advanced for her age & I want to be able to work with her at her pace. She is almost 3, knows her alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, animals, can write her name, draw shapes, write numbers & letters, etc. I have been working with her since birth practically. She is well on her way to reading independently. She can read 2,3, & 4 letter words.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We are NOT homeschooling. Even though I have BA in social studies and soon a Master's in history...I still feel unqualified to teach my son. Plus I choose to have a career and my son will go to private school. He is well advanced for his age but we will sending him to school. It is better for our family and my son would not thrive if we homeschooled. I personally feel homeschooling is not always best and way too many parents who have no business homeschooling.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• I do not home school my soon but I am researching it for when he hits middle school. My son has ADD and I am afraid he will not get the full attention he needs because of him getting in trouble because It is so hard for him to focus.
    I had debated on a charter school where half the day is spanish but when I went there they had no control the kids were everywhere.
    I was relieved when my boss entered her daughter in online school and at her church they do a class for the kids in the online school. I love to travel so online school works best for us because I hate finding a sitter and leaving him or making him miss school.

JMDmommy

Answer by JMDmommy at 9:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2010